Transducer plastic clip broken - Need ideas

20200112_103105.jpg

The plastic clip the hose clamp slides through to mount the transducer to my trolling motor broke. I plan to see if gluing it with epoxy will hold, but am not optimistic about it being durable.

Do you have any ideas on how else to attach it? Will running a larger hose clamp around the BOTTOM of the transducer interfere with its readings?
    2018 Bass Cat Sabre, 150 HP Pro XS, Helix 10s

2. Member
    I wrapped mine with electrical tape. Definitely not pretty but so far functional till I smack something underwater.....
    2021 FXR21LE

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Belton45 View Post
    I wrapped mine with electrical tape. Definitely not pretty but so far functional till I smack something underwater.....
    Ha...I expect the same with my glue solution.

4. Member
    A good waterproof wide tape wrapped around transducer and motor tightly, did I mention tight, should work.
    Otherwise, a dremal to cut 4 slots, 2 front,2 back and 2 hose clamps may work, depending how much meat of plastic is left

The transducer itself is a solid piece and the potting holds it into the plastic shroud. We would think you cloud format a tunnel above the potting with epoxy and something holding the channel open, which could suffice in retaining it. Other wise it’s just a replacement.

6. Member
    I cut a slot the same width as the hose clamp in a piece of aluminum banding material and riveted that to the transducer.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcpantera View Post
    I cut a slot the same width as the hose clamp in a piece of aluminum banding material and riveted that to the transducer.
    I'd love to see a picture. Sounds like this is a common problem.

8. Member
    I sold boat. Sorry no pics.

9. Member
    transducer repair block.PNGI dont have mine here to show and this is a pic of the 3d model. I have a two year repair involving 15 minute epoxy and a plastic block. I 3d printed my block, but a person could shave down almost any plastic block (sanding block). Cut a band groove in the bottom and glue onto the transducer. Run the hose clamp under it and attach.
    Last edited by StevenMCC; 01-13-2020 at 07:23 PM.

10. Member
    Transducer shield and saver makes something to hold the transducer when it brakes like that. But you have to buy two like $35 a piece

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenMCC View Post
    transducer repair block.PNGI dont have mine here to show and this is a pic of the 3d model. I have a two year repair involving 15 minute epoxy and a plastic block. I 3d printed my block, but a person could shave down almost any plastic block (sanding block). Cut a band groove in the bottom and glue onto the transducer. Run the hose clamp under it and attach.
    Sounds like a great idea. I like PL2 as a sub for expoxy. Both are super strong and waterproof.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

12. Member
    SOB, I tried. Found some strong epoxy, 2 coats, dried for days....snapped off when I reattached the hose clamp. Last questions before I give up and pay hundreds for a new transducer install (to repair a sliver of plastic on a functioning transducer) -

1. Do you expect the transducer function as expected if I run 1+ hose clamps UNDER the transducer?? I'm assuming the hose clamps will impair the downward readings, otherwise Minn Kota would not have designed the hose clamps to be mounted on top, stabilized by 1/8" of plastic.

2. Has anyone tried the Transducer Shield and Saver on an Ultrex? I'd like to ensure it fits before ordering. jzv33 - I didn't see a minimum quantity? You mentioned having to buy 2.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/Tran...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mrbraq; 02-19-2020 at 09:16 PM.

13. Member
    Instead of a hose clamp (won't shoot through metal), use a wide and long zip tie -- possibly two
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Instead of a hose clamp (won't shoot through metal), use a wide and long zip tie -- possibly two
    Thanks, Jones. I'll try that next. Electrical tape for now... The Transducer Shield and Saver I ordered was not for current Humminbird transducers. It was much too small. Not sure if they make one for the current size.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Tran...OS&emailname=2Transducer Shield and Saver.jpg

15. Member

16. Member
    Thanks, jzv. Can you please paste a link to this one?

17. Member
    Don't know how to share link but just go to transducer shield and saver website and click on shields for hummingbird and you will see it

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jzv33 View Post
    Don't know how to share link but just go to transducer shield and saver website and click on shields for hummingbird and you will see it
    This one?

https://www.transducershieldandsaver...r-transducers/

19. Member
    Yep that's it

20. Member
    I now see why you have to buy 2 since it only comes with one clamp