Getting the most outta my mercmonitor

2013 ProXS 250
    sn: 1b964392
    m/n: 1251p73kd
    i already have a merc monitor plugged into harness under cowling and ran thru the hose
    i get engine hrs, temp, WP, fuel consumption, rpms
    i wanna see if i can get a little more, like fuel and oil level in the tank

If I’m reading the sticky thread about smart craft properly it looks like there’s one more harness that plugs in under the cowling
    -which means I’d have to fish another cable thru the hose
    -is that correct?

and that one harness will do both my oil tank and my fuel tank?
    so does that mean i have to tap into the wiring on the sending unit on both the oil & gas tank?
    How does the NMEA 2000 come in to play in all this?
    -must have an end that I plug into my backbone?

And what’s a ballpark price on this Harness?

Thanks

2. Member
    1.Yes
    2.Yes
    3.Yes
    4.No
    5.No

$60-$70

3. Member
    The harness alone won't give you anything but fuel info, if you want to see remote tank level you must also get the float assembly.

Paid a lot more than $60 - $70 when I added the fuel, oil, paddle harness and float assembly to my engine 9 years ago (before I found BBC). Contact Rhonda (see Sticky topics at top of forum) at European Marine for current BBC member pricing.

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    The harness alone won't give you anything but fuel info, if you want to see remote tank level you must also get the float assembly.

Paid a lot more than $60 - $70 when I added the fuel, oil, paddle harness and float assembly to my engine 9 years ago (before I found BBC). Contact Rhonda (see Sticky topics at top of forum) at European Marine for current BBC member pricing.

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...
    +1... That price will cover the harness, but the sensor for the remote oil tank is a good bit more.

Also- and VERY IMPORTANT: If monitoring FUEL LEVEL on SMARTCRAFT, you absolutely, positively, without ANY SHADOW OF A DOUBT must eliminate any possibility of an Analog Gauge being wired to the sending unit. PINK WIRE gets disconnected, isolated, and tied back so that it cannot reconnect itself.

Failure to follow the above warning can cause severe PCM damage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks for the info!
    i reached out to Rhonda and got a price list/invoice
    i was confused as to why there where two parts on invoice but now i realize you need that float in the oil tank
    makes perfect sense

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1... That price will cover the harness, but the sensor for the remote oil tank is a good bit more.

Also- and VERY IMPORTANT: If monitoring FUEL LEVEL on SMARTCRAFT, you absolutely, positively, without ANY SHADOW OF A DOUBT must eliminate any possibility of an Analog Gauge being wired to the sending unit. PINK WIRE gets disconnected, isolated, and tied back so that it cannot reconnect itself.

Failure to follow the above warning can cause severe PCM damage.

6. Member
    How is the fuel capicity accuracy with the additional ability to monitor fuel level via mercmonitor?

Quote Originally Posted by like2fish2 View Post
    How is the fuel capacity accuracy with the additional ability to monitor fuel level via mercmonitor?
    I have installed this on two boats. It did improve the fuel level accuracy especially since you have to calibrate the tank(s). It is a pretty easy installation depending on how easy it is to get to the top of your fuel tank. To me, it is well worth the installation for fuel tanks. I found the oil level lacking and eventually just went back to looking at the oil tank.

As a point of discussion, It does not provide instantaneous readings. I suspect the fuel levels are dampened or delayed to prevent the gauge needle from fluctuating while underway. You will not notice this while driving around in your boat. I noticed it because I would try to fill up each tank by watching the gauge level. It would only read 3/4 full when the filler hose would shut off. When I would get to the lake, it would show completely full.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... Fuel level display is dampened (takes about 45-60 seconds to change from a "low" level to "full" if you are manipulating the fuel level sender by hand).

This eliminates the "bouncing fuel hand" and provides a more accurate display in most cases.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    The "Fuel Used" feature on MM is very accurate. Am always within 1/2 gallon of MM reported fuel used when at the pump and that's with my non-Smartcraft capable kicker pulling from the same tank. I track trolling hours, factor 1/2gal for each hour, and add that to fuel used per MM.

Only use fuel gauge as a visual indicator now.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax