Pro XS Tach problem 250hp 2010

Took my boat out the first time the other day and Tach was not working. Checked the battery 12.6v not running, 14.22v while running it on the hose. Read some where on here if its over 14v its the
    regulator/rectifier gone bad. Also seen 14.6 or below is fine. Is this a reliable test?

1. I moved the small black slotted thing in the back of the Tach, moved it to the left and right and left it on 6P...where it was.
    2. Checked gray wire in the back of Tach. 5.78v
    3. Checked the yellow wire on tach 4.18v

Engine Serial #1B776295

When running it the other day for the first time, at idle it was at zero, when running around 60-65mph the needle was buried on the bottom where there where no numbers, about an inch past the 7000rpm mark

Waiting for anyone's reply or advice
    Thanks

Last edited by dre1965; 01-12-2020 at 06:33 PM.

2. Member
    Hi William! The reference to tach issues and regulator/rectifier does not apply to your Optimax that applies to engines without an alternator which is what your engine is equipped with. Your running voltages are fine.

Analog tachs are very sensitive when sweeping the switch to clean contacts, if you went beyond the mechanical limits it can damage the tach. If you didn't go beyond the mechanical limits, you might try sweeping again a few more times, always mindful of the mechanical limits and ensure it's reset to 6p. Report back with results.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good info, above. Also, sometimes the "position" of the switch may not perfectly align with the indications on the back of the tach. You may have to "feel" the switch to see if you note the slightest of "clicks" in the movement. Those "clicks" are the actual positions.

"Yellow" is not a traditional tachometer wire color... so not sure where that has come into play.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    tach.JPGOk, I looked at the back of my Tach tonight: Grey wire has Send 1 printed next to it. Yellow wire has send 2 printed next to it. Black wire says Ground, Top purple wire says Light and the bottom says purple wire says Ignition. I turned the switch again and didn't feel any clicks whatso ever, my son has an tach sitting on the shelf but is for 70PH Yammy with a stator, I couldn't test my system with that tach could I? Here's a picture of the back of my tach.tach2.JPG Thinking the send 2(yellow) is for the Trim maybe? That works fine

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Correct- Send 2 should be the trim sender (normally brown w/white stripe in the keyswitch or instrument harness).

Most any tach could be used to "test" your system's output... 12V+ from the purple wire, 12V- from the black wire, and gray is your tach signal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor