Brisket tasted like pot roast

Smoked my first brisket yesterday. Turned out pretty good but tasted more like a pot roast than a brisket. Made a rub with brown sugar, salt, paprika, Chile powder. Smoked at 250 until internal temp was 165 then removed and wrapped with foil until internal temp was 205. Let it rest for two hours. What did I do wrong?
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

2. Member
    Probably a little over-done. That’s a tough meat to get right.

3. Member
    I would double check that the temp probe you are using is accurate. That sounds like it was over cooked a bit.

Or its always possible the cut of meat just sucked. What grade did you use ?

4. Member
    I know guys on the internet do 201-210 all the time, but I swear mine is always overdone at that temp. I'd shoot for the probe test for tenderness first but around that 198 area I'd really start to consider pulling it off.

5. Member
    Also know that if you pull it at say 205 or whatever and let it rest it will rise in temp between here and there. So pulling at 205 might end up being 210-215.

For a brisket I keep it simple on the rub. Kosher salt, coarse black pepper, a little paprika, and a little garlic powder. Try Lane’s Brisket Rub. Best I’ve found, and mixed exactly as described above. All I use these days. I use it sparingly.
    Wrap the brisket in pink butcher paper when it stalls (at about 130-135 degrees or 6 hours on a 13-15 pound brisket), then cook at 225 until internal temp reaches 198-200 depending on the cut of meat. Pull it, and FTC (foil, towel, cooler) for 2 or more hours. My last brisket on the BGE was 16.5 lbs trimmed down to about 15.5 lbs. Stalled at 135 at the 7 hour mark. I wrapped it in butcher paper and cooked it another 15 hours before it probed tender at 198 and hit the cooler for a couple of hours. It was larapin.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    The finished temperature does not mean squat. It is done when it is done and each piece of meat is different. You can tell by feel. The puddle on he top is a visual cue but if you used the crutch I guess you cannot look for that.

You overcooked it. Don’t feel bad everyone has done it. Next time pull it sooner eventually you will figure it out.

Thanks. I'll definitely try some different things next time.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

9. Member
    I wouldn’t use sugar just mainly salt and pepper rub. First Question what type of smoker, wood, what area did you temp from, and did you cut against the grain?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroker250xs View Post
    I wouldn’t use sugar just mainly salt and pepper rub. First Question what type of smoker, wood, what area did you temp from, and did you cut against the grain?
    What he said.

11. Member
    ill repeat some of the tips here that are accurate for sure....

ive had a few end up tasting like pot roast....

I dont go all out with various rubs anymore... i keep it basic with salt, pepper and garlic for a rub. i'll sometimes add some other rubs after its finished if I wanted to add a different flavor. hard to beat the crust of a SPG rub.

Depending what you add to the meat when wrapping is a huge factor as well. I find beef broth and wrap is game over it will taste like pot roast...

Dont use meat temp as a Final product finish... its only good to use as a guide...

I will only wrap once I LIKE the bark it has or to prevent it from having too much bark (is there such a thing though lol)

once you are nearing the 190ish IT.... you can start doing the poke test... you want the prob to slide in like warm butter.... ive heard of some cuts being ready at 195... some are done at 210.... it all depends on the cut. ONLY pull once the probe goes in like butter....

Now another thing A LOT of people miss out on is the resting period.... resting it is a HUGE part of it let is sit for AT LEAST 30mins to an hour minimum.... but you need to be careful because wrapping it air tight off the smoker and letting it sit means its still cooking and may end up over cooked.

So for at least the 1st 30mins to an hour... leave it wrapped but open up the top a chunk to let it breath some... from there if your not ready or wish to let it rest longer then you can go ahead and wrap it tight wrap with towel in a cooler to keep warm etc...

doing all that has yielded me the best turn outs for briskets so far,.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209