Rod damage and how to repair

So, walking up some concrete steps, I tripped and the rod in my hand hit the stairs. UGH. Luckily, it hit behind the handle. What can I (should I) do to prevent it from getting worse? Thought about using some black electrical tape.

This is a 2019 Kistler Zbone Medium 7'3" casting rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Goby King
    That's crushed, the blank is cracked. Must have been a pretty good impact. Really not much you can do. If you're handy, drill through the butt cap and epoxy an inner sleeve to reinforce it and do a thread wrap on the outside to keep it from splintering any more.

Prolly will break there no matter what...IMO
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    Yep, it was a hard blow. Well shoot... figured as much. Beyond my skill to do suggested repair, but that sounds like a solid plan. May have to look local for someone to do that. Guess I could try and hope I don’t screw it up. LOL.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleiron View Post
    Yep, it was a hard blow. Well shoot... figured as much. Beyond my skill to do suggested repair, but that sounds like a solid plan. May have to look local for someone to do that. Guess I could try and hope I don’t screw it up. LOL.
    Not sure even an experienced rod repair guy can fix that. It’s structurally damaged. Only thing I can think of is a guy can cut the rod at that spot and rebuild it into a shorter one. Otherwise you can try contacting kistler as a warranty and pay the replacement fee. They won’t give you a new rod for free but might take a little off the top so you’re not paying full retail
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Not sure even an experienced rod repair guy can fix that. It’s structurally damaged. Only thing I can think of is a guy can cut the rod at that spot and rebuild it into a shorter one. Otherwise you can try contacting kistler as a warranty and pay the replacement fee. They won’t give you a new rod for free but might take a little off the top so you’re not paying full retail
    I have thought about cutting it down.. might be 6'8 or 6'7' after that. I may fish it and see what happens and go from there.

Message sent
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

8. Member
    Not had to do the insert mentioned earlier. Done it several times. Drill out the butt to expose the end of the blank.take an old blank and slide inside your crushed blank. After cutting your insert to slide inside apply epoxy inside the rod and insert old blank. The insert should push out where crushed. Get some rod varnish and cover the rough area w/ varnish. You will need to turn the rod turned while it dries. If not picky about looks or finishing you can you fast drying epoxy to reinforce and smooth up the outside.

9. Member
    You or if you don't want to do it, someone will definitely be able to fix that. I wouldn't cut it down. That's an easy repair that any competent builder should be able to fix fairly easily.

10. Member
    Agree with Bassbme, any competent rod builder can fix this and only you and the builder will know it ever was damaged if done right.

11. Member
    Is that behind the handle or in front of the butt? Either way not a super bad fix. If thats the handle I'd probably remove all the cork, cut it where it solid and epoxy in a new butt end and shape a new handle and butt, you'll never see the splice since it'll be under the handle.

12. Member
    I'll be back in town Friday. Call me and we'll fix it this weekend. I do my own wrapping and repairs. Bill 919-723-8569

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbill View Post
    I'll be back in town Friday. Call me and we'll fix it this weekend. I do my own wrapping and repairs. Bill 919-723-8569
    Thanks Bill, will do!