Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Falcon in rough water?

Hey guys I’m looking for an objective and honest opinion from someone who has been in a Falcon boat. I’m looking at the 205 and the 215. Stopped at a dealer today on the way to Florida and gave them a look. I’m pretty interested. They are definitely on my short list with Ballistic and one other manufacturer.

I fish Lake Michigan and it’s inlets almost exclusively. Lake Michigan’s idea of rough water is vastly different from most bodies of water so that is my top factor when looking at a boat. If anyone would be willing to share their experiences in a Falcon I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

3. Member
    Objective and honest from a bass fisherman would be like seeing a unicorn and a leprechaun fighting over the oak island treasure! You gotta get into all three you are considering and drive, on a sh#tty day! A test drive on a flat day is useless especially when you leave the pier heads after you already purchased it.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

4. Member
    Go over to the Falcon page and read and ask the question there!

5. Member
    I must be a leprechaun then. I’ve owned 6 different model boats and I am more than happy to be transparent and brutally honest about all the pros and cons of each of them. I can’t be the only one. You have a heck of a lineup there too! I wish there were boat dealers in this state that did demo rides on Lake Michigan but I’m going to have to resort to some educated opinions for now.

6. Member

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.bbcboards.net/member.php?u=105318"
    txsunfish[/URL];10778453]Go over to the Falcon page and read and ask the question there!.
    Good luck getting unbiased answer over there.... (same applies to all boat specific boards). Perhaps a good approach would be... to not ask them about what they like about the boat... but perhaps what they DON'T like about the boat and see how honest folks are. :D

8. Member
    Considered a walleye boat??? I don’t care what bass boat you buy, Lake Michigan will beat the hell out of you. Walleye boat may be a better option? Camp and Cruise has a Yar-Craft with a merc 400R on it right now. Or there’s the new BassCat Jaguar, 22’!
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

9. Member
    I bought a new 2019 falcon 250 mer 4str in April. My home lake is Eufaula al. I fish 3 different tournament trails all over Alabama. So I have put the falcon to the test this past year What a great handling boat with very large fishing decks (the reason I bought it). I have owned 3 rangers , phenix, Skeeter and Bullet. And while I won’t knock any of them because each one was good in my opinion, I will tell u that falcon will hold its on against any of them I bought my falcon without ever riding in one I did my due diligence in talking to as many pros and falcon owners as I could The feedback is why I bought Have dealt with the factory twice unbelievable how good the service was I received. Would be happy to answer any questions.

10. Banned
    The 195 hull is built for speed. It's narrow and has a more swept keel. Fast with the 200, but not as good in rough water.

The 205 is built for comfort. Very wide and a forward keel to cut through rough water. Very stable fishing platform. It's like you're standing on a dock.

The 215 falls somewhat in the middle. Not as wide as the 205, but not as narrow as the 195, and the keel design also falls in the middle. Depending on load, prop and motor the 205 and 215 both run around the same speed, but owners say the 205 handles rough water better.

I've spent the past year talking to owners, talking to dealers, talking to the manufacturer. Very interesting the way these boats are built. You can see the salt water boat influence in the design and how water is managed. They feel very solid in the water. Bilge design is second to none, in my opinion.

Find a dealer, or find some owners that will take you out on the models you're interested in.

11. Scraps
    BLat has a couple informative vids on his Falcons. I've read really good rough water ride out of those two hulls.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    I greatly appreciate the responses. I’m signed up to be a co-angler for the opens I’m hoping to run into a few guys running them. Maybe get a ride. The Kissimmee isn’t going to give me a great idea about rough water but it would be nice anyway. I’ve got about 2 weeks before I need to commit to get a boat by spring. Ballistic has a ton to offer as well it’s a tough decision.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    The 195 hull is built for speed. It's narrow and has a more swept keel. Fast with the 200, but not as good in rough water.

The 205 is built for comfort. Very wide and a forward keel to cut through rough water. Very stable fishing platform. It's like you're standing on a dock.

The 215 falls somewhat in the middle. Not as wide as the 205, but not as narrow as the 195, and the keel design also falls in the middle. Depending on load, prop and motor the 205 and 215 both run around the same speed, but owners say the 205 handles rough water better.

I've spent the past year talking to owners, talking to dealers, talking to the manufacturer. Very interesting the way these boats are built. You can see the salt water boat influence in the design and how water is managed. They feel very solid in the water. Bilge design is second to none, in my opinion.

Find a dealer, or find some owners that will take you out on the models you're interested in.
    Could you elaborate more on the saltwater influence and water management? I got a 195 myself and I love it, just curious since the bilge seems normal to me (this is only my second boat)

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
    Considered a walleye boat??? I don’t care what bass boat you buy, Lake Michigan will beat the hell out of you. Walleye boat may be a better option? Camp and Cruise has a Yar-Craft with a merc 400R on it right now. Or there’s the new BassCat Jaguar, 22’!
    this! Bass boat on lake Michigan is rough. Don’t see many bass boats on the main lake.

ranger FS series
    nitro zv
    lund impact 2025 and alumcraft 205 have very nice bass boat like decks.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Could you elaborate more on the saltwater influence and water management? I got a 195 myself and I love it, just curious since the bilge seems normal to me (this is only my second boat)
    On a typical bass boat water that comes in through the deck, like the troller pedal tray or cockpit floor, is dumped directly in to the keel and allowed to go wherever. It can sit in there and do whatever. Falcon's keel is completely sealed off. Think of it as the tops of the stringers being decked over. Nothing gets in there. Water is managed via tubing from all floor drains that dump directly in to the bilge area.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    On a typical bass boat water that comes in through the deck, like the troller pedal tray or cockpit floor, is dumped directly in to the keel and allowed to go wherever. It can sit in there and do whatever. Falcon's keel is completely sealed off. Think of it as the tops of the stringers being decked over. Nothing gets in there. Water is managed via tubing from all floor drains that dump directly in to the bilge area.
    Thanks for the clarification. I had thought most boats have this "sub floor", such that the stringers and foam don't get wet. But the drain tubing system sounds awesome.

17. Member
    Maybe give a call to Falcon factory. They are in Newberry S.C. and they also have another company that makes center consoles for offshore fishing. I have looked at the boats back in July of 2018. But the dealer I was dealing with was trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I had a previous price from another dealer. When I talked with this new dealer near me, they gave me a price of $12,000 more. I went and bought a new Tundra a couple weeks later.

18. Member
    Thanks for the clarification. I had thought most boats have this "sub floor", such that the stringers and foam don't get wet. But the drain tubing system sounds awesome.
    drain tubes are awesome, until they get clogged with dirt. Then you have a REAL water management issue.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    drain tubes are awesome, until they get clogged with dirt. Then you have a REAL water management issue.
    Tubes were the wrong term. It was more PVC pipe channels.

20. Banned
    I can tell you that my Triton is not built like that. Water dumps wherever, even through the foam. I had to stab holes through the foam so my cup holders would drain. The troller drain is just a hose about 2' long that sits in the keel. I can stick my head in the bilge and see clear up to the gas tank, along with the passage beneath it that allows water to come from front to back.

The Falcon none of this is possible. That's all completely sealed off. All the foam that's in there will never see a drop of water unless there is structural damage to allow it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast