Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Only one bass boat made for ruff water and that would be the Charger 596. That boat is made for LOZ. with a 4" thick transom. They run the top of the waves with that boat. LOZ is similar to Lake Michigan on her period for those that have never been on the lake.
    Look at the keel and compare. The wider it is the rougher ride it will be.

2. Member
    I’ve been on Lake Michigan and LOZ both multiple times. LOZ can be rough like a wash tub, but you can die easier on Lake Michigan. Two totally different types of big water.

Get a Bullet , I hear you can run 80+ in a four foot chop .

4. Member
    I have posted quite a bit on the Falcon boards. Before my 215 I had a 21 PHX for a few months (stolen) and 03 Ranger 521 for many years before that. The 21 PHX rides amazing and lands very soft. It has enough V all through the hull that you can drive through some very rough stuff and cut it down to size. I will not say anything bad about the Phoenix boats. The Ranger was like a carrier and just beat down many mid size waves. Trim it down hard and let the bow cut through everything. The Ranger was a great boat but could be a touch wet. The Falcon is it's own animal. It just makes everything feel a bit less with rough water. It can cut chop with ease and responds well to trim settings. It lands soft and keeps her nose up. You cannot do stupid things without stupid things happening just like any boat though. I wanted to test my Falcon one day so when a wake boat made a sharp turn in front of me I nailed it. First two wake waves were fine although the bow bounce kept growing. Third wake got me pretty good. Threw the bow about 8-10 feet into the air and rest of the boat followed. She came down flat and loud but kept on rolling. The landing was much softer than I expected but I was in the middle of a conversation with myself about doing stupid things. Bow did NOT dip which is a great thing. A bit embarrasing to make that much noise landing and get everyone looking at the idiot but the boat can handle itself very well. Tournaments on Clear Lake i heard comments from some co-anglers how rough their ride was... My co was sitting with his legs on my daybox and his arm resting on the gunnel.

I cannot say how well it will do in Great Lakes bad days. I can say it will probably be up to any task you are capable of. Knowing how to run big water and learning how your boat runs it are all part of that experience. Some days 45 is great and 50 or 40 are a nightmare. A Falcon is a very solid tool that has treated me well and makes me happy. It doesn't run with the go fast crowd in flat water and LOW 70's is all I have seen out of mine but when the wind comes up and the chop is 2 foot or more, I very rarely get passed. If it is super rough and 30 is all you can do... the Falcon can be wet in a crosswind(all bassboats are to some extent)....It throws spray well but if the wind is strong enough it seems to turn it all back to land in your lap. It was better than the Ranger which was like a bucket on your head wet but it is worth noting.

All that said, I love everything Jim is doing over at ballistic boats. If there was a girl that could catch my eye it would probably be something he made. I love having the small brands and he is doing some amazing things there.

5. Member
    If my primary fishery was Lake Michigan I wouldn't even be thinking about a bass boat personally. I'd say you need to be looking at deep V's, a walleye boat or even a more traditional center console saltwater fishing boat. I'd say the major advantages of a bass-specific hull are speed and ability to squeeze into thin water, if you don't think you're gonna be trying to push your boat through <2ft of water to get to the sneak hole I'd say a bass boat isn't gonna be a good fit.

6. Member
    I primarily fish Lake Michigan, if the water is too rough for my bass boat, the walleye boats aren't having a good day either.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    If you are a fool that would believe that, I have some swamp land that I could sell him for waterfront. Lake Ontario's 4 ft are steep and short, and I feel good if she lets me run the tops at 40+ on my 02 Cobra 201 DC Merc 225 EFI on a good day. There is a reason why they called them Great Lakes cause they are big, mean and deep.

#sarcasm

I fish St. Clair all spring and summer. I keep an eye on the weather every day. If it is blowing 10 or more I don't go. Had a Basscat Jaguar that did fine, now have a Phoenix PHX. Also had a Bullet previously. The older you get the bigger the deck you like, balance is not as good as it used to be. In Florida I run a Bullet. I also have thought about the Falcon and the Ballistic for the Great Lakes.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    If you are a fool that would believe that, I have some swamp land that I could sell him for waterfront. Lake Ontario's 4 ft are steep and short, and I feel good if she lets me run the tops at 40+ on my 02 Cobra 201 DC Merc 225 EFI on a good day. There is a reason why they called them Great Lakes cause they are big, mean and deep.
    I let a guy talk me into going out of Lake Ontario one time in a 20 sail boat on a windy day in April. I was never gladder to get off the water than I was that day. I was soaking wet and it was cold. The wind and waves came up in a split second.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Who's feeding you that load of bull???... It's 85+ in six foot chop, drinking a cup of coffee while playing with the 16" screen on the console... Dan

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    I let a guy talk me into going out of Lake Ontario one time in a 20 sail boat on a windy day in April. I was never gladder to get off the water than I was that day. I was soaking wet and it was cold. The wind and waves came up in a split second.
    I believe that, and it must have been a really warm April, since you didn't get hit with a floating chunk of ice. She is a mean 1, kinda like my second wife, gets rattled up in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Who's feeding you that load of bull???... It's 85+ in six foot chop, drinking a cup of coffee while playing with the 16" screen on the console... Dan
    Mines only a 10” screen for now, Dan. But, the coffee was hot!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duncankopprichardson View Post
    I primarily fish Lake Michigan, if the water is too rough for my bass boat, the walleye boats aren't having a good day either.
    This.
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Being in South Florida we don't get the same types of "rough water" that you will see on the great lakes but Okeechobee can get down right nasty in her own way. Have run Rangers, Tritons, Skeeters and Phoenix out there and more recently the Falcon 205. I would rank the Falcon up there at the top of the heap with Phoenix. The Phoenix may have about 1-2 mph edge on top end and lands softer than you would expect. The Falcon surprised me and had a slight edge on cutting the waves, keeping the nose up and having a very soft landing while still being able to cut a sharp turn without sliding. Huge front deck, amazingly accessible bilge/battery compartment and I am in love with the new "Hybrid" edition that has no carpet and comes with a "Sea Dek" like padding that is great on the feet but way easier to maintain and clean than carpet.
    Feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions and I'll be happy to answer whatever I can!

16. Member
    I ran into a guy running a new Vexus DVX22 on Lake Okeechobee. He was from up north and ran the great lakes as well. He said he ran that day just about the whole lake. It was pretty sporty on Okeechobee that day. His partner has a Ranger 622FS Pro back home. He said he loved the big Vexus. They both loved my old Stratos 201 Lol
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    I ran into a guy running a new Vexus DVX22 on Lake Okeechobee. He was from up north and ran the great lakes as well. He said he ran that day just about the whole lake. It was pretty sporty on Okeechobee that day. His partner has a Ranger 622FS Pro back home. He said he loved the big Vexus. They both loved my old Stratos 201 Lol
    I ran a 30' Sea Ray Weekender for salmon charter back in the late 80's, and I have made the mistake of being caught out on Lake Ontario in 8-10 footers crashing over onto my windshield with all 3 wipers going making my way back to Rochester from Cape Vincent. Summer storm came out of nowhere with water spouts warning over the VHF ch-16 and lightning everywhere.
    By the mighty hand of GOD, I made it home with only damage to my canvas top, and it keeps me from ever going out there when she is foaming at the tops.
    Remember that the Great Lakes ate the "Queen of the Great Lakes" on a dreaded November day gale. Better safe than dead.
    d5f606-20151106-fitzgerald.jpg

18. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
    Objective and honest from a bass fisherman would be like seeing a unicorn and a leprechaun fighting over the oak island treasure! You gotta get into all three you are considering and drive, on a sh#tty day! A test drive on a flat day is useless especially when you leave the pier heads after you already purchased it.
    I'm stealing that analogy!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Only one bass boat made for ruff water and that would be the Charger 596. That boat is made for LOZ. with a 4" thick transom. They run the top of the waves with that boat. LOZ is similar to Lake Michigan on her period for those that have never been on the lake.
    Look at the keel and compare. The wider it is the rougher ride it will be.
    This^^^^ or a 22' Champion would be the only bass hulls I would consider on that big of water.

20. TJNYSNP
    I believe Travis Manson ran in a Falcon till he just cut over to a z21 last year. He is a great lake fisherman so he would have a perspective that would be worthy of knowing. His cell number is here if you want to reach out and ask him:
    http://www.travismanson.com/contact-travis.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast