Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running Lake Okeechobee

Any solid advice for running a boat on Lake Okeechobee? Never fished a lake like this before and will be spending a week or more out of the north end of the lake. If you had some rules to follow or any sound advice that will help a fellow fisherman get around without damaging the boat/motor, I would be grateful.

Thanks!!

Dont run boat trails.
    Trim up when coming off plane.
    Idle in to indian prairie....from way out.
    Take it slow. Its not bad to run 1/4 mile from shore. (Meaning running in the lake)

Lake is at/around 13 ft still, so its right at the limit of my comfort zone.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

3. Member
    What cautions should be taken navigating from north end to south end for a tournament if wind is blowing. Is it worth the risk at current water level?

4. Member
    If you will be coming out of the Kissimmee River into the lake make sure you run out into the lake and don’t try to cut shortcut it. There are sandbars on either side of the channel.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    What cautions should be taken navigating from north end to south end for a tournament if wind is blowing. Is it worth the risk at current water level?
    If its windy and you're trying to get from the Kissimmee river to south bay, you're going to have to run the long way around through the monkey box and into the rim canal. Some can make it down and back without a fuel stop but some cant. You can get fuel at Roland's in Clewiston.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Never stop believing and never stop chasing your dreams.
    Galatians 6:9

www.kgfishing.com

USCG Licensed and Insured Fishing Guide - Lake Murray and Clarks Hill

Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    If you will be coming out of the Kissimmee River into the lake make sure you run out into the lake and don’t try to cut shortcut it. There are sandbars on either side of the channel.
    Looking at google maps there is a big island right as you come out of the Kissimmee river, I think it's called Kings Bar maybe? Going south, can you cut thru the west side of the island safely or do you need to go around the east side into the big lake?
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

7. Member
    "Never fished a lake like this before"...!!
    Stay in the North End!!

When you look at a lake on Google Maps you can be lulled into thinking the SouthEnd isn't toooooo far away. When you get there, and get out there, you'll realize it's accurately named "Okee Chobi" - Big Water.

People disappear making that run, don't do it.

8. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Yea, if you want to fish the south end and you're not in a tx, just trailer the boat down there. Once south, you can run the rim to most anywhere you want to go. Lake is so big though, the north/west side would provide more water then you could cover in a week.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    Looking at google maps there is a big island right as you come out of the Kissimmee river, I think it's called Kings Bar maybe? Going south, can you cut thru the west side of the island safely or do you need to go around the east side into the big lake?
    I'm not really sure. I fished the north end a few times and we pretty much ran a good bit out into the lake before making any turns. When I use to fish with the bass club they always warned everyone to run the channel out into the lake a ways before turning because a few people ran up on sandbars turning to early. I would always error on the side of caution there. A couple times I went down the wrong trail and could not get back up on plane. Had to trolling motor out.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I'm not really sure. I fished the north end a few times and we pretty much ran a good bit out into the lake before making any turns. When I use to fish with the bass club they always warned everyone to run the channel out into the lake a ways before turning because a few people ran up on sandbars turning to early. I would always error on the side of caution there. A couple times I went down the wrong trail and could not get back up on plane. Had to trolling motor out.
    I will for sure be cautious until I learn my way around. Fished Kissimmee several times years back but this will be my first time to the Big O. I understand the size is immense, almost three times the area of KY lake which is the big water in my neck of the woods. I will have an empty back seat over the weekend if anyone wants to ride along shoot me a pm.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Also be careful this weekend. The wind is supposed to be pick back up, and the river/lake entrance can be pretty rough.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Dont run boat trails.
    Trim up when coming off plane.
    Idle in to indian prairie....from way out.
    Take it slow. Its not bad to run 1/4 mile from shore. (Meaning running in the lake)

Lake is at/around 13 ft still, so its right at the limit of my comfort zone.
    This is good simple advice. Appreciate your response!

The lake level is at 12.97 today. You mentioned 13 as edge of comfort zone. If it drops further, what depth is when you’d call it/stay home?

Sounds like I may do a lot of idling before I get to the grass I want to fish. True?

13. Member
    PM Sent

14. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Make sure you have good insurance to cover a lower unit and prop

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    Make sure you have good insurance to cover a lower unit and prop
    Been there done that at just under 12' and our wonderful congressman Mast wants them to keep it at 11' year round.

16. Member
    The lower they keep it, the healthier it will be. Needs to go below 10 for a year or so.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    The lower they keep it, the healthier it will be. Needs to go below 10 for a year or so.
    Unfortunately, this is the correct answer to help regenerate the natural grasses.

18. Member
    Regenerated grasses won't last long once the spray hits it..

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerman65 View Post
    Regenerated grasses won't last long once the spray hits it..

X2

FWC Fish Without Cover
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

20. Member
    High water kills far more grass on that lake than spraying does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast