ETEC/LOWRANCE/NMEA2000

I've posted this issue on the Evinrude section and got a pretty straight forward answer pointing to a Lowrance problem. I thought I'd try the Lowrance section to see if I can get any different answers.

I recently had a certified, independent, marine mechanic install a Lowrance Elite 7Ti on my Ranger Rt188, along with Evinrude interface and NMEA 2000 cables. I set up the dashboard on the 7Ti to read several engine data items which included the alternator. A few weeks ago, I happen to be on the water and turned the 7Ti to the dashboard page. Everything seemed to be registering correctly except the alternator which was pegged at 18v. I got my voltmeter out and checked the voltage at the starting battery. It read 14.5 volts. I turned the engine off and got a battery reading of approx. 12.9 volts. I left the voltmeter on the battery and started the engine to see what the battery condition was upon starting. It momentarily dropped to 11.9, then started rising up to 14.5 volts where it stayed for several minutes. I realize my 115 hp ETEC alternator puts out 55v then converts that down to 12+ volts to charge the battery, power electronics, etc. What I don't understand is why my 7Ti is showing what's coming straight from the alternator (55v causing the digital meter on the dashboard to be pegged at 18v) rather than what is being converted down to (system voltage?) to charge the battery . . . . 12-14v? I contacted Lowrance about this and their position is...."Our unit just works as a NMEA 2000 reader. We don't have a way to alter or change how the data is received. Seems like the sentence is not being sent correctly(by the ETEC). Otherwise, every engine interface like this would have the same problem". I went to the devices page on the 7Ti and looked at the data it was receiving from the ETEC EMM. Alternator was at 55v, battery was showing 12.9 volts so everything seems to be working as expected EXCEPT the dashboard voltmeter being pegged at 18v. Talked to my Evinrude/Ranger dealer about this issue. They couldn't help because they had never installed an interface or NMEA cable system. I realize this isn't a "show stopper"; however, the alternator gauge on the Elite 7Ti is not supposed to be pegged out at 18v(see Scott's YouTube video on the subject). ANY IDEAS? THANKS!
    Last edited by sprig56; 01-11-2020 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Sorry, it looks as if I may have posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry

2. Member
    As Lowrsnce said, the unit just shows what the NMEA is telling it. Your issue is probably with the voltmeter in your engine. (Ad the output to the battery is ok.)

3. Member
    Sprig56: Only suggestion I have is for you to edit the limits for the voltage gauge to something above 55 Volts and see if it is reading the Alternator output. If after you change the Voltage limits and it reads 55 volts you will have to change the source to Battery Voltage.

You can customize the panel by:
    • Changing the data for each of the gauges in the dashboard
    • Changing the dashboard layout
    • Adding and deleting new dashboards
    You can also set limits for analog gauges.
    All edit options are available from the panel menu.
    Available editing options depend on which data sources are
    connected to your system.

Edit a dashboard
    Activate the dashboard you want to edit, then:
    1. Activate the menu
    2. Select the edit option
    3. Select the gauge you want to change. Selected gauge is
    indicated with a colored background
    4. Select information to be displayed, configure limits, and
    eventually change the source for the information
    5. Save your changes by selecting the save option in the menu

Hope this helps.