OptiMax oil leak

2006/Opti/200hp/serial#1B276932
    Noticed oil this fall in this location appears to be leaking from the oil pump. Very small leak only dripping slowly. No alarms and all running as should. Post here suggest oil pump leaks are pretty common on Opti’s. Engine has 325 hrs and this is the original pump. I have a service manual and I’m studying the oil pump section. Recommendations on how to proceed welcomed.

Thanks Wayne

2. Member
    :)

Known problem. If under warranty, Merc will replace it at no charge. If not under warranty, you can buy the part or have a dealer install. Labor is minimal. Only issue is an oil pump prime after doing this. Dealers can do this quickly and easily. If you use the shift approach, you will go back into break-in mode and burn a lot of oil (but you will get the oil pump prime done this way if you can't get to a dealer.)

This is REALLY a "frequently asked question" because it comes up all the time. PITA.

BTW "some" have tightened those three allen bolts and reported that the leak was stopped. But far more weren't so lucky. Including me. Worth a try. If they are already snug, no point in wasting time testing. If one or more is pretty lose, you might have a chance.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    Mine starting that crap
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Replace the pump and perform an oil pump prime sequence on the Computer Diagnostic System.

Rhonda can assist you with the parts- see her post (pinned at the top of the Forum) for contact methods/info.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Replace the pump and perform an oil pump prime sequence on the Computer Diagnostic System.

Rhonda can assist you with the parts- see her post (pinned at the top of the Forum) for contact methods/info.
    Thanks Don!

6. Member
    Yup such a common issue and the pumps $400 bucks

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

is there a way to prime the pump without taking it to a dealer?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not that is recommended. Needs to be done correctly with an appropriate diagnostic tool (or Computer Diagnostic System).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

where on the motor is the oil pump located for the 3.0L pro XS engines? Would like to inspect mine.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Front-Starboard corner (next to the Air Handler).