Water pressure gauges repetitive failures - Merc monitor ?

I have a 2014 Merc 150 ProXS on a Triton 18XS. I have had an ongoing problem with my water pressure gauge.

The original water pressure gauge never worked upon receipt of my new boat. It was replaced under warranty (including the sensor). But after a few months it stopped working.

This cycle has been repeated 3 times with exactly the same results. The gauge works fine then fails. This happens during the summer (no freezing issues) and is kept in a heated garage over the winter.

Any ideas on why I am having these repetitive water pressure gauge failures?

If I go with a Merc monitor, could that monitor go into the same dash hole as the water pressure gauge? Lastly, how difficult is it to install? I assume a wire need to be run back to the engine. Thanks all.

Serial # of my Merc. 2B088110
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

2. Member
    I believe the merc monitor fits the speedo/tach hole, not a water temp gauge hole. Do you know what is actually failing? I am not sure but I presume your motor has a digital WP sending unit since most I have seen do. If so, is the sending unit failing (and causing alarms) or is the gauge going south? If it is the gauge, I would start by examining the wiring (+/-/data) to make sure nothing is shorting out. If this is an analog gauge with a rubber tube going into the back of it, then there's no sending unit anyway. Just a tap into a water line on the powerhead that runs to the gauge. Unless you somehow have grossly high water pressure to damage the gauge, or when you run it on the muffs you seal things up well enough that your 60+ psi city water reaches the gauge, I can't imagine what would cause that to fail. I have seen at least one opti with both. The boat didn't have any smart craft stuff, and relied on analog everything including the water pressure gauge. So I guess you could do it either way.

Personally I prefer the mercmonitor for many reasons.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    Could use the old SC1000 monitor system, would fit where water pressure gauge is. It was used back around 2002 - 2006, I have one on mine and I’m always on water pressure or temp. It does RPM, fuel burn, voltage, trim angle, along with the two mentioned. $200 with wiring back to engine on the web.
    ‘04 SeaPro 206CC, ‘04 175 Optimax DFI #OT922039

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I still would love to know why I keep having these failures. In every gauge change, both the gauge and the sender units were replaced. My boat dealer verified that the water line to the sender is clear and working. He replaced the gauges and he has no explanation for the failures. If each instance of failure, the water pressure gauge would work perfectly, then after a few months, would just completely fail. It would never move from zero.

I fish a weedy lake and I am always concerned about my water pressure. Including the original gauge, this problem has occurred 4 times on 4 different units.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Those would be gauges/senders on the TRITON side of the system (not actual Mercury Products). Normally don't see too much trouble with those- but sounds like you've seen your share for sure!

Smartcraft Instruments (such as the MercMonitor) use a sensor that is inside the Engine Cowling. All displayed data comes from the PCM, so it's direct and dead-on accurate. Rhonda (in our Parts Department) can assist you with the various options, and special BBC member pricing. Email is the best contact method for Smartcraft systems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor