Thread: Locator pins

Locator pins

Serial # 2B090964

Need to make some locator pins for a water pump change out, what length of bolt should I have once I cut the head off?

2. Member
    Most any length will work so long as they have enough length to let you get the gaskets, housing in place. Personally, I have been using stiff wire-ties. Cut the head off, and stick 'em in the 4 holes. Works well enough to keep everything in place so that you can bolt it back together. You can remove one wire tie (you could use small wooden dowels, small soda straws, etc) and insert the bolt. Repeat for the other three. Once you have two bolts in you are pretty well done. If you want to get fancy you can buy bolts with the right threads and cut 'em off as you mentioned. I've just done it the quick and easy way myself with no issues.

BTW, one thing I learned within the last couple of years, you CAN position the impeller so that the hole is centered exactly as it should be so that it won't try to push things to either side on reassembly. Just fiddle with it for a minute and you can get it into the correct position and not have to fight with it as you put things back together.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    6mm x 30mm (or longer).

They are not mandatory to use- as long as you start all four bolts in place by hand, and align the to of the housing to keep a roughly "even" gap between the housing and the shaft, while pulling the bolts down evenly to torque, you should be fine.

Certainly no harm in using them, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor