Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Seeking Advice on New Boat Order

Hey guys, looking to get an order into Ranger by the end of the month and could use some help in deciding on some items. I currently don’t plan on fishing tournaments if that helps.

Here’s what I know I want:
    - Z519
    - G2 with G2 Hotfoot
    - Dual Console
    - Upgrade to Tandem Trailer
    - Minn Kota 15x4
    - LED Light Package
    - Hamby’s
    - Remote Drain Plug
    - Retractable Rod Straps
    - Retractable Trailer Tiedowns
    - Dual Trim Switch Lever
    - Custom Color - Blackout but change stripes 1 and 3 to White.
    - Lithium Batteries - one of the lakes I will occasionally fish has a HP limit that will put full reliance on the trolling
    motor to navigate. Want to have absolute best battery life, performance, and reliability since it’s my only way to
    move around. Not sure if Ranger or the dealer would install these?

These are the items I’m undecided on and could use some input:

- is it worth it to upgrade to “L” version? Would add $3-4K but not sure if the difference is justifiable.

- can I get the Traction Pad for the cockpit in a non-L boat? Doesn’t show as an option online.

- I really would like a jackplate as there are spots I’ll idle over that I’d like to have the motor as high as possible.
    Manual is certainly more economical, but seems like a waste as adjustments on the water would be a challenge.
    From my research, it seems like Bob’s hydraulic would be my preference. Can I order a Bob’s through Ranger for
    factory install? As a secondary question, do I really need a jackplate to start or should I assess further down the
    road after getting some time on the water?

- Cover - thinking the flat cover and I’ll put the butt seat in the middle?

- Radio - I already have a blue tooth speaker. It would be nice to have everything built into the boat, but not sure if
    it’s worth spending $500+ for that?

- I would like to be able to take the kids tubing on occasion. I don’t know that the Ski Tow is a good choice for tubing
    but I thought I’d ask to see if anyone here has one installed. Thinking I may need a separate prop for tubing?
    I’m a little concerned that the minimum speed on plane will still be quite fast for the kids (7 and 5 years old).

- Thinking the Loc-R-Bar would be nice so I can feel more comfortable when leaving the boat in the water overnight.
    Any opinions on the Loc-R-Bar? Worth the $300+?

- Trolling Motor/Graphs. I would like these all the be the same brand for linking purposes. Obviously the Ultrex has
    been the standard and would pair with HB units that I’m a fan of. That being said, the Garmin Force
    has caught my eye. Being a new product on the market, I’m not sure what kind of bugs have yet to be worked
    out. Also, based on my research it seems Garmin is lagging behind on DI/SI, but has a great product in
    LiveScope. The Ranger website shows very few options for Garmin electronics - will they install others? Any
    word on whether MK be putting out anything new with the recent troller launches fromGarmin/Lowrance?

General Questions:
    - For the items I’m not sure about, other than L vs non-L, I’m thinking I should have a few months to make these
    decisions as the boat is being built?

- Are there any other “must haves” that I should have installed by Ranger? Or maybe items I should wait on?

- Should I expect the price per the website to essentially be what I’ll see from the dealer? Thinking I should add 10%
    for taxes/prep/freight - does that seem reasonable?

- What is a typical deposit amount upfront to place the order?

I know this is a lot, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’ll take a stab, bearing in mind that I ordered the same rig 2 years ago and that individuals all have different perspectives:

First and foremost, you do have several weeks to make most of your final final decisions, but try not to drive your dealer crazy. That said, crucial strategy number 2 is that you can negotiate with your dealer anything that the dealer can install, potentially saving you mucho dinero, but you can’t negotiate with Ranger: anything you order from the factory will cost you full price. This goes for battery upgrades, electronics, et cetera. Jack plates is a tricky area, as it would take substantial extra labor for your dealer to install at their shop, as opposed to when Ranger initially hangs the engine.

It is probably not worth it to upgrade to the L. What you end up paying for, primarily, is the electronic dash switches, padded deck, and waterline striping. The sum of these items, assuming that you wanted them, is [in my mind] less than the premium Ranger charges for the L. If you want all these items enough to pay the difference, there you go. Just remember that every extra item you add to a boat is something else that can go wrong today or be hard to replace 10-20 years from now....

You can’t order traction pad as a factory-installed option. However, there is nothing on a current L boat that your dealer cannot order [or you order from Ranger Parts] if you are willing to pay the extra installation or do it yourself. Some items, obviously, are much easier to install than others. Bear in mind that your dealer a) probably has experience in doing all kinds of aftermarket upgrades, and b) these upgrades are potentially negotiable *at the dealer level.*

A fixed jack plate might help you a little in shallow water, but not tremendously. On the other hand, a hydraulic plate can be very useful in adjusting to changing situations. That said, I’m running a fixed plate now, simply because I didn’t want the complication of a hydraulic plate which tends to vibrate loose on Lake Erie, didn’t want the extra weight of the hydraulic plate, and certainly didn’t want to pay the premium price for it. Idling through water as shallow as 2 feet, I feel about 25% more comfortable with hydraulic than fixed, but to me that’s not worth it. Assess down the road.

I hardly ever use a cover. Too much work for me. Flat covers are fine.

Radios are typically not worth it. Bluetooth speakers are awesome these days, and built-in speakers [see above about extra gizmos] have a tendency to cause more trouble than they’re worth.

Not a great ski boat for kids that small. Although the G2 has awesome low end torque, and might do okay at low speeds with the Rx4 prop.

You always, always want to make your electronics deals away from Ranger. Not that they are crazy high, but they are plenty high, and there are big savings to be had when you go self-install or dealer-install. Electronics are not that hard to install, and you can get exactly what you want once the boat is delivered, taking advantage of sales and dealer discounts. Always try to get dealer labor thrown in!

Taxes, prep, freight are what they are. Dealer can’t change fixed costs, but everything else [aside from Ranger’s end] can be negotiated. MAP pricing is a semi-firm starting point for all Ranger dealers, which is why you need/want to take advantage of everything you can get installed *anywhere else.* [Just not crazy shade-tree mechanics.] The deposit depends entirely on your relationship with the dealer. The more solid your relationship and history with that dealer, the less the deposit. It also helps if you’re not ordering something so different/unique that they could never sell it if you get struck by lightning [heaven forbid].

Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. Feel free to pm if you have more questions. — JC
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    By the way, two things you didn’t mention in your order list: trailer step and winch upgrade. In my estimation these are at or very near the top of the list for most useful and value-worthy additions. Just look through 2 or 3 pages of this forum for confirmation.

4. Member
    nix the skiing/tubing idea. I ordered my boat to do the same thing and we tried it once. the prop wake hits the tubers in the face and about drowns them. tried for an hour to make it work then gave up and never tried it again. big waste of money
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    I put down $5k when I ordered my 520L.
    Hydraulic JP
    Yes on the traction pad....you will love it
    Ultrex
    why not a 4s motor?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    Hydraulic JP
    Ultrex
    why not a 4s motor?
    g2 is more advanced and gets better mileage and less emissions maybe??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I’ll take a stab, bearing in mind that I ordered the same rig 2 years ago and that individuals all have different perspectives:

First and foremost, you do have several weeks to make most of your final final decisions, but try not to drive your dealer crazy. That said, crucial strategy number 2 is that you can negotiate with your dealer anything that the dealer can install, potentially saving you mucho dinero, but you can’t negotiate with Ranger: anything you order from the factory will cost you full price. This goes for battery upgrades, electronics, et cetera. Jack plates is a tricky area, as it would take substantial extra labor for your dealer to install at their shop, as opposed to when Ranger initially hangs the engine.

It is probably not worth it to upgrade to the L. What you end up paying for, primarily, is the electronic dash switches, padded deck, and waterline striping. The sum of these items, assuming that you wanted them, is [in my mind] less than the premium Ranger charges for the L. If you want all these items enough to pay the difference, there you go. Just remember that every extra item you add to a boat is something else that can go wrong today or be hard to replace 10-20 years from now....

You can’t order traction pad as a factory-installed option. However, there is nothing on a current L boat that your dealer cannot order [or you order from Ranger Parts] if you are willing to pay the extra installation or do it yourself. Some items, obviously, are much easier to install than others. Bear in mind that your dealer a) probably has experience in doing all kinds of aftermarket upgrades, and b) these upgrades are potentially negotiable *at the dealer level.*

A fixed jack plate might help you a little in shallow water, but not tremendously. On the other hand, a hydraulic plate can be very useful in adjusting to changing situations. That said, I’m running a fixed plate now, simply because I didn’t want the complication of a hydraulic plate which tends to vibrate loose on Lake Erie, didn’t want the extra weight of the hydraulic plate, and certainly didn’t want to pay the premium price for it. Idling through water as shallow as 2 feet, I feel about 25% more comfortable with hydraulic than fixed, but to me that’s not worth it. Assess down the road.

I hardly ever use a cover. Too much work for me. Flat covers are fine.

Radios are typically not worth it. Bluetooth speakers are awesome these days, and built-in speakers [see above about extra gizmos] have a tendency to cause more trouble than they’re worth.

Not a great ski boat for kids that small. Although the G2 has awesome low end torque, and might do okay at low speeds with the Rx4 prop.

You always, always want to make your electronics deals away from Ranger. Not that they are crazy high, but they are plenty high, and there are big savings to be had when you go self-install or dealer-install. Electronics are not that hard to install, and you can get exactly what you want once the boat is delivered, taking advantage of sales and dealer discounts. Always try to get dealer labor thrown in!

Taxes, prep, freight are what they are. Dealer can’t change fixed costs, but everything else [aside from Ranger’s end] can be negotiated. MAP pricing is a semi-firm starting point for all Ranger dealers, which is why you need/want to take advantage of everything you can get installed *anywhere else.* [Just not crazy shade-tree mechanics.] The deposit depends entirely on your relationship with the dealer. The more solid your relationship and history with that dealer, the less the deposit. It also helps if you’re not ordering something so different/unique that they could never sell it if you get struck by lightning [heaven forbid].

Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. Feel free to pm if you have more questions. — JC
    Wow - tons of good info. Thanks for taking the time to write this detailed post as it’s very helpful and has definitely changed my perspective on some of these items. I will likely have additional questions and will PM you accordingly.

8. Member
    By the way, two things you didn’t mention in your order list: trailer step and winch upgrade. In my estimation these are at or very near the top of the list for most useful and value-worthy additions. Just look through 2 or 3 pages of this forum for confirmation.
    Trailer step is a great idea.

I’m not familiar with the winch upgrade. I don’t recall seeing this anywhere when I was building on the Ranger site but I may have missed it. Any idea on approximate cost? Also, what are the benefits over the standard winch?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    nix the skiing/tubing idea. I ordered my boat to do the same thing and we tried it once. the prop wake hits the tubers in the face and about drowns them. tried for an hour to make it work then gave up and never tried it again. big waste of money
    Yea, I figured this would be a challenge. Not the primary purpose of the boat but would be nice to do a few times a year.

May try one of those floating Booster Balls and tuck the motor all the way under. Still think excess speed will be an issue. I guess I’ll worry about this later, don’t really need to do anything with it now. Thanks for your reply.

10. Member
    Hydraulic JP
    Ultrex
    why not a 4s motor?
    Like the tech of the G2, especially self-winterization and the ability to switch from foot to hand throttle. I missed out on the 10-year warranty, but they’re currently offering a 7-year with a $2,000 rebate. Brings the cost closer to the other motor options while retaining a great warranty.

Plus the G2 seems clean, efficient, and runs like a beast from just about everything I’ve read.

11. Member
    IMO the $2000 rebate will not make up the increased depreciation value of the boat because of a 2S. But for sure get what gives you the greatest peace of mind!

12. Member
    I recently got the Z519 and love it. However, mine does not have the front starboard fender step and I will be ordering it this week. I would highly recommend it for getting in and out, and especially when you go to load onto the trailer and need to step out to hook up winch. Enjoy

IMO the $2000 rebate will not make up the increased depreciation value of the boat because of a 2S. But for sure get what gives you the greatest peace of mind!
    Where does this whole 2S lowers resale idea even come from. At present the G2 is still the low emissions king over all 4 strokes on the market. You'll probably end up with cats on a 4s to catch up with current G2 emission levels. Its not like he is buying an old Merc EFI or Rude Ficht.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

14. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FishNCPA View Post
    I’m not familiar with the winch upgrade. I don’t recall seeing this anywhere when I was building on the Ranger site but I may have missed it. Any idea on approximate cost? Also, what are the benefits over the standard winch?
    Read this recent thread:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ferrerid=39498

Ranger doesn’t offer a winch upgrade on their build sheet, but any dealer can take care of it for you, or it’s a super easy self-install. The Fulton 2-speed winch with 3200 pound capacity more than doubles the strength rating of the factory winch and strap. Advantages are that the low gear on the 2-speed winch pulls about 4 times easier than the standard, plus the stronger strap is not nearly as prone to breakage. Cost of the upgraded winch is about $150 at Amazon, and a dealer might make you a trade-in on the stock winch. Bolts right up in the same holes.

15. Member
    Only thing I would think about is the rod tube delete... You can fit many more rods in the locker without them.
    2019 Ranger Z520L
    Evinrude ETEC 250 H.O. G2

16. Member
    Also, the G2 is the best choice!
    2019 Ranger Z520L
    Evinrude ETEC 250 H.O. G2

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Unfortunately, Ranger doesn’t offer the rod tube delete option on the 519s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmhall745 View Post
    Only thing I would think about is the rod tube delete... You can fit many more rods in the locker without them.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmhall745 View Post
    Also, the G2 is the best choice!

MAGA

19. Member
    Read this recent thread:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ferrerid=39498

Ranger doesn’t offer a winch upgrade on their build sheet, but any dealer can take care of it for you, or it’s a super easy self-install. The Fulton 2-speed winch with 3200 pound capacity more than doubles the strength rating of the factory winch and strap. Advantages are that the low gear on the 2-speed winch pulls about 4 times easier than the standard, plus the stronger strap is not nearly as prone to breakage. Cost of the upgraded winch is about $150 at Amazon, and a dealer might make you a trade-in on the stock winch. Bolts right up in the same holes.
    Looks like a no-brainer. Thanks for the info.

20. Member
    For those with a dual console 519, how is it trying to get rods in and out of the port locker?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast