Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2020 250xs 4s brand new won’t go over 5300rpm???

2B733137 sn#
    I just purchased a 2020 TRX 21 patriot elite . The dealer was going through motor prep with the computer and cannot get motor to come out of the hole correctly or get full RPMs. They said they’ve tried three different props moving motor up and down in new hole locations and even tried putting in new injectors to see if that could cure the problem.They have sent all the data sheets to Mercury and as far as my knowledge has not get any feedback back from them my question is if Mercury does give them a fix what kind of damage has my motor sustained why they’ve been trying to do all this and it not running correctly they probably have two hours on the motor by now trying to figure this out?? Has anyone out there or dealers run into this problem on the new four strokes??
    Last edited by crazydave8A; 01-11-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Hate to ask. But it is the throttle set correctly with the computer?
    Not all mechanics/dealers know how.
    Learned this the hard way. Thats exactly what mine did. Turned out it was only getting 90% throttle. Good luck

3. Member
    I asked them the same question they told me that all the computer readout was saying it was at 100% full throttle when the pedal was all the way down. Supposedly it’s part of the sequence they have to do through the computers to get the motor prepped.

4. Member
    What pitch prop is on it?
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

5. Member
    They tried the 24 pitch that came with it they tried a 23 pitch and a bravo all props no change in anything which is kind of a flag

6. Member
    Just brainstorming, maybe the tach is screwed up. Is 5300 analog or digital readout?
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

7. Member
    These numbers are all through the computer from the motor read out on a laptop

8. Member
    The mechanic tech is really good at my dealership this is an issue related through the motor itself just wanted to reach out there and seeing if anybody else bought a brand new motor that’s never been in the water has came across this before so I can resolve the issue Mercury is working on it as well but doesn’t sound like they know what’s going on 100% either from the readout all they know is at this point that there is more fuel getting delivered than what they need but don’t have an answer to fix it.

9. Member
    Did they try to reflash the computer? Sounds like a program/software issue to me.
    Semper Fi

10. Member
    Now they are having to follow what ever Mercury says

11. Member
    I have the same boat/engine combo. It should jump out of the hole and run great with stock 24 Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydave8A View Post
    Now they are having to follow what ever Mercury says
    Hope they get you going soon.
    keep us updated

13. Member
    Will keep you guys posted . If they don't figure it out Monday I’m going to tell them I want a new motor from mercury. I don’t feel comfortable using my motor as a genie pig until they figure it out. Mercury needs to step up they can fix there bad product on there time!!!

14. Member
    Good luck with that. Give them a little time and I’m sure they’ll figure it out. Today’s motors are very technical and sometimes it takes time to diagnose an issue and perform the repair.
    I don’t know how long the shop has been working on the issue but not everything is an instant fix especially when the dealer is working back and forth with the manufacturer.
    You started this thread on Saturday morning and now your expecting a new motor the next day.
    Hopefully they’ll get it fixed soon.

15. Member
    They started Working on it last Thursday

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sure sounds like that engine is in Guardian (or is limited by a cylinder not producing power).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    They say that the engine is showing no codes and that all cylinders are operating the way they should be Mercury says that from the readouts that the motor is getting too much fuel but cannot tell them why or what the fix is . At this point in the game I want Mercury to send a new engine and put on my brand new boat that I’ve ever never be picked up from the dealership

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydave8A View Post
    They say that the engine is showing no codes and that all cylinders are operating the way they should be Mercury says that from the readouts that the motor is getting too much fuel but cannot tell them why or what the fix is . At this point in the game I want Mercury to send a new engine and put on my brand new boat that I’ve ever never be picked up from the dealership
    I’m sorry you are having these issues. Very few things more frustrating than buying something new and it not working. Hang in there.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It sounds like your dealer is doing a good job of documenting the situation (and KUDOS to them for identifying this during the PDI).

I'm confident that they will achieve a good solution for you soon (one way or another).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

20. Member
    Yes my dealer has went above and beyond anything that could be expected!! Joe and his awesome team at Toho Marine has worked countless hours working with Mercury to try to resolve the issue and got to the point where they had a tech from mercury fly in just a back up everything that they have found. They come to The conclusion it was an internal issue and Mercury definitely stepped up to the plate and are going to send out new motor. So I should be back on the water and fishing tournaments in no time!! Can’t wait to finally sit in my brand new boat!! Thanks again to the Toho Marine team!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast