First trip of the new year and it was awesome.....1/6/2020

I had a couple trips fall through for Monday so when Gary called me late Sunday night I was pretty excited. I ran over to the storage facility and picked up Gary's boat so I would have it with me Monday morning when I went to pick him up. I always drive because his eye sight is getting so bad they won't let him drive anymore. I picked him up at 5:20am and it was 26* and pretty frosty. We stopped in Billings and ate breakfast and then headed toward Campbell Point. As we started down the last big hill going into Shell Knob we could see a very dense fog hanging right on top of Table Rock Lake. It was absolutely beautiful. This kind of view is one of the reasons why I always tell folks that there is a lot more to fishing than just catching fish. Pulling down toward the parking lot of Campbell Point the frost was so thick on the camp ground that it looked like it had snowed over night. The dense, icy fog made for a very erie launch site. While putting in we could see that the water temperature was still close to that magical 50* mark. The water had good color but was dead calm. We decided to run to the spot where Gary caught his best fish last trip. First cast, BAM!, Gary hooked a real nice brownie which kinda set the tone for the whole day. We wound up catching them real good. My very best January trip ever. We caught 'em on a Ned Rig, a hula grub, an ice jig and a spoon. I threw a crank bait and a jerk bait too but never got bit on them. For January the bite was excellent. In fact, at one point I caught three fish on three casts. We had a couple of short lulls but for the most part the fish bit all day. At evening the wind died completely which created a perfect mirror on the water to reflect the sky and the bank. I tried to take a few pictured but my el cheapo Wal-Mart phone didn't do it justice. Still, it makes a pretty impressive picture. I know we have some nasty weather coming but for now I am really enjoying and trying to take adventage of this beautiful weather. Hope ya'll are getting to go to...

Last edited by luvdmymerc; 01-22-2020 at 08:08 AM.

2. Member
    Thanks for sharing
    looked like a great time

3. Member
    Nice job guys! Thanks for the reports too!

It was awesome yak and wwb........ January trips are special....

5. Member
    Great report and pics as usual !!!!!