250 ProXS 4 Stroke power upgrade questions

I just upgraded from the 2S to the 4S and took it out for some more break-in time today. I have some questions for anyone who is willing to give me some advice. Thank you in advance.

1. Max rpms is only 5500. I have a 2018 Ranger 520L with a hotfoot. Can this be hotfoot related problems? I don't think I am getting 100% WOT
    2. I have the level 0 MercMonitor. Every time I trim, the trim screen comes on the MercMonitor and shows 25%. It never moves from 25% no matter where the engine is trimmed.
    3. MercMonitor will not show water pressure.
    4. I was going through the break-in procedure so don't know the ideal settings, but what I saw is it operates best at half trim. I have no idea what level the Atlas jackplate should be at.

Is there a MercMonitor I can get or do something where all the information on the monitor works, i.e. fuel used, trim, etc.? Also, I have a 23P Fury 3 and all the same gauges as I had on my 2S.

In my limited time on the water, I will say this motor is night and day compared to the 2S. It shifts a lot smoother, holeshot is incredible, sounds great. Top end is a lot slower than my 2S but I am attributing that to the throttle/hotfoot. It is much more responsive than the 2S. It is also larger. Almost didn't fit in my garage. My brother has the same boat as me with the same motor but his was rigged at the factory and runs great. My boat is back at the dealer now and am sure they will get it all corrected but was trying to save some tweak time by asking some of this on here.
    2018 Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S
    15" Solix console
    12" Solix on the bow
    Ultrex
    Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate

2. Member
    I went through a similar issue with RPM and WOT recently.

From what I finally gathered, a Merc service place can tell you if you're getting WOT by hooking a laptop to it. It's not just a mechanical issue of a hot foot (although it could be that also).
    2023 Puma STS

3. Member
    My hotfoot had to be slightly modified to allow it to come all the way back at rest. After that I was able to reach full range of motion .

BTW it is very strongly suggested to include your serial number when posting. Just a friendly reminder.
    GETFISHED !!!

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    My hotfoot had to be slightly modified to allow it to come all the way back at rest. After that I was able to reach full range of motion .

BTW it is very strongly suggested to include your serial number when posting. Just a friendly reminder.
    I apologize for not doing that but my boat is at the dealer and had no access to the serial number when I posted. I agree though and thanks.
    2018 Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S
    15" Solix console
    12" Solix on the bow
    Ultrex
    Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate

5. Member

I may have similar issues and just don't know it yet. I waited on my repower for a full year. I finally got it in October but have yet to even get it wet yet. Life has gotten in the way.
    GETFISHED !!!

To get 100% at wot on the laptop we had to set idle stop screw full closed and remove the wot stop screw on a brand new top load hot foot.

The throttle as mentioned above could be a Hot foot issue. Your water pressure to your Merc monitor-the new four strokes do not come with a water pressure sensor for digital readout that is something you're going to have to purchase. As far as your Jack Plate start at 2.5 inch prop to pad and go up from their . My boat is rigged 2 and 1/2 but every boat is different.

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post

I noticed on my new boat that the hotfoot was missing the idle stop bolt on it that my old hotfoot had on the other boat assuming this is part of it coming all the way back. Mine idles and seems to be hitting wot as it should tho.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

As has been mentioned- I would have them check the Hotfoot Setup. It is extremely critical that the idle stop screw be set back and the spring tightened to permit a consistent return as far back as travel allows. If this is not done (some tech's got a bit lazy about this as 2-stroke product was quite forgiving), it is very unlikely that 100% throttle will be achievable.

100% needs to be verified on G3-2019 CDS by the dealer.

With your Atlas plate... you will have to determine height based on WOT RPM, GPS Speed, and Water Pressure. A good "trial" method is to get up near WOT, set trim to "level" trim, and move the plate up 1/4" at a time, while monitoring GPS Speed, Smartcraft RPM's and Water Pressure.

Continue raising 1/4" at a time, until one of the following occurs:

-RPM Increase with Speed DECREASE
    -Water Pressure drops below 18 psi
    -Undesirable or Unsafe Handling develops.

If one of these occurs, drop the plate down 1/8 to 1/4" and that should be very close to your "sweet" spot. MAKE NOTE OF THE MEASUREMENT POSITION ON THE PLATE at this point for future reference.

In regards to your MercMonitor, it can display any item available from your engine. Sounds like either the trim is not properly configured (Limits not set on engine), The Instrument has not been calibrated for trim, OR there is a sensor problem.

Block pressure (Water Pressure) is available via an add-on sensor. IF you have an ANALOG gauge- see the FAQ Section for an optional setup to allow BOTH Analog and Digital Water Pressure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor