Unhappy 2012 skeeter zx 20

Zx has a blown sho . I was Debating on rebuilding or just selling. I was wondering how much I could get for it as is. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
    36 volt
    Hds 12 gen 2.
    Hds 9 carbon.
    Hds 10 gen 1.
    Structure scan
    Sonic hub.
    Bluetooth.
    Pointol one.
    4 bank charger.
    8 ft talons
    Everything works as it should other than that Yamaha.
    I'm sure I'm missing stuff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FrogNFlip; 01-10-2020 at 09:44 PM.

2. Member
    Have you gotten a quote to rebuild it?

3. Member
    Yes from between 9k- 12k

4. Member
    It would have to be pretty cheap to sell as is. I probably wouldn't feel like I was getting what it's worth if it was mine but I understand not wanting to put all that money in it either. Looks like a pretty boat though. I guess the way you could figure it would be to look at what those models are going for and then take about 14k off yours. I would think you would have to take more as an incentive to buy one with a blown motor.

5. Member
    I went through this in May when my HPDI died after 13 years. Cheapest route is to buy a used motor. Probably $5k for something with a couple hundred hours. $10k to rebuild with no warranty, or $20k for new. I opted to put a used motor on it and then sold the boat. I lost the $5000 but selling it with a blown motor seemed to drop the value by $8-10000.

6. Member
    If you figure to rebuild it for $12k or buy a new SHO for $20k, if you are keeping the boat I would put a new one on it. If you try to sell it with the blown motor, it will have to be significantly discounted typically.

7. Banned
    This might sound crazy but I traded a Triton TR20 with at a dealership with a blown engine and they treated me really good knowing it was blown. I assume they could eat the labor costs because I lost about $4000 over what I would have listed the boat for before it wasn't blown up. Might want to talk to a couple dealerships.

8. Member
    Thanks guys for input.

9. Member
    Have the same boat, just curious how many hours the motor had on it?

10. Member
    Have you contacted you Skeeter dealer about this? Yamaha has been good on covering older blown SHOs.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmb View Post
    Have you contacted you Skeeter dealer about this? Yamaha has been good on covering older blown SHOs.
    I had it at the dealer and they said they contacted Yamaha and there was nothing they could do for me. Then dealer said it was 12k for a new power head from Yamaha. With I think a 3 month warranty. It might have been a one year warranty, but for some reason three months sticks out.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders4694 View Post
    Have the same boat, just curious how many hours the motor had on it?
    About 250 hrs. Had the boat for 2 years. Bought it used. I was running down the lake and started loosing power. I thought I had something in the prop. Let off gas and then got back into it. Still wasn't right. I look over my shoulder and white smoke as far as I can see. Shut it down a got a tow. Went to dealer and cylinder 6 had lost compression.

13. Member
    Man that concerns me, mine has around 190 I believe, I hope it lasts, let us know what you decide to do, not a whole lot of information out there as to fixing the sho besides the expensive Yamaha powerhead. I have seen some reman shortblocks that come with a year warranty for around 4K, extent of damage would be whether or not you could just get a short block

14. Member
    I had the same thing last year at this time on my ~12 SHO. I also have insurance freeze coverage and they determined there might have been water stuck down in the head and it froze/cracked. I took the insurance $$$ and bought a new SHO and sold the cracked SHO with full disclosure for a guy to rebuild for himself. Sold really easy too! I had multiple offers and call immediately for my asking price. I think it's mostly labor in the cost on the rebuild.

Based on this, I'd imagine there's possibly someone that wants to take on a boat with blown motor that likes to wrench. But that'll depend on what you'd like to get out of the hull. hmmm.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post
    I had the same thing last year at this time on my ~12 SHO. I also have insurance freeze coverage and they determined there might have been water stuck down in the head and it froze/cracked. I took the insurance $$$ and bought a new SHO and sold the cracked SHO with full disclosure for a guy to rebuild for himself. Sold really easy too! I had multiple offers and call immediately for my asking price. I think it's mostly labor in the cost on the rebuild.

Based on this, I'd imagine there's possibly someone that wants to take on a boat with blown motor that likes to wrench. But that'll depend on what you'd like to get out of the hull. hmmm.
    What did you get for the motor blow?

16. Member
    I think it was $5k?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post
    I think it was $5k?
    I see that one sold on here for $4k. That's good to know. Thanks for the input.