Ionic 50ah Setup

Has anyone had any experience using 2 of the 12V 50ah Ionic batteries? Do they make it the whole day? I have a 17 boat and was wondering if they are enough. Have you had any problems with them as well?

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Im planning on (2) 100 ah. After talking to Andy he didnt think (2) 50 ah would be enough for me.

3. Member
    I don't have Ionic batteries but do have another brand 12V 50AH lithium battery and love them. Never once have they ran down. I've fished from daylight to dawn many times. Granted I'm not fishing heavy current though.

4. Member
    I just changed over to 2 50 ah ionics along with a reprogrammed dual pro. I have a 18 ft champion fully loaded with a ultrex. I have yet to draw them down to 75% of a charge after fishing all day in the wind and some current. Pull the trigger, you will be glad you did

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    It all depends on your fishing style......what works for one person may not work for you......give Andy a email and see if you can get him and the phone.....He will be able to help you out....

http://www.bbcboards.net/member.php?u=83033
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    unless you are a river fisherman that fishes heavy current all day or trying to spotlock all day on high winds likely with a 17ft boat the 50ah will be all you need but get up with me and lets talk about what you have,
    knowing what you currently run for batteries and what trolling motor, and a little info on fishing style I can help with the decision.
    910-722-0001 this number accepts text and you can call most all daylight hours or email andy@drew-tek.com

Last edited by DREWTICK; 01-11-2020 at 09:11 AM.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

7. Member
    Here is my experience. I have a Bass Cat Cougar and installed two 50s. They worked great most of the time. Where they fell short were on windy tournament days or lakes where your on the TM all day moving. They never died, but ending a tournament with less than 10% was nerve racking. Since I didn’t want to go through a TM change, I exchanged my 50s for two 100s. I have not fished a tournament yet, but fished Toledo Bend a couple of days pretty hard and ended with 76-79%. I’m sure they will stay over 50% on a hard tournament day.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    Here is my experience. I have a Bass Cat Cougar and installed two 50s. They worked great most of the time. Where they fell short were on windy tournament days or lakes where your on the TM all day moving. They never died, but ending a tournament with less than 10% was nerve racking. Since I didn’t want to go through a TM change, I exchanged my 50s for two 100s. I have not fished a tournament yet, but fished Toledo Bend a couple of days pretty hard and ended with 76-79%. I’m sure they will stay over 50% on a hard tournament day.
    exactly why im going twin 100's.

2 100ah is the way to go. Less discharge per trip equal less full discharge cycles. Also quicker charge times.

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    very true about the discharge cycles, a partial discharge doesn't count as a full cycle and therefore longer life. if cost wasn't a concern and you know your fish long days and ride the TM get the 100s.
    the 50ah will probably last all day and still be above 12v but using 90% is harder on them, although only a couple of reports of anyone ever getting them that low Bahala being one who did and can probably tell you more about what it takes to get them that low.
    what I tell many customers is,
    if you currently know you need 31s or agms on the trolling motor to get through a day then you need to consider 100s
    if you are running 27 wet cells and never ran them down then you will probably be ok with the 50s
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Text message sent Andy

12. Member
    Thanks everyone for the thoughts and info

Quote Originally Posted by lostone View Post
    Has anyone had any experience using 2 of the 12V 50ah Ionic batteries? Do they make it the whole day? I have a 17 boat and was wondering if they are enough. Have you had any problems with them as well?
    I would recommend that you verify your batteries are fully charged for every trip and when you get home before charging, check the battery voltage and record it to determine how much you are using from your current batteries. The by using the amp hour rating you can make a determination of about how many amp hours you will need
    I am currently doing this with may rig, so far I have had more than a 70 percent state of charge which implies that 50 AH may be ok. I will not make a decision until I have one of those days where I run the motor at 50 percent or higher all day and maintain at least 60 % state of charge with my 90AH batteries
    Battery capacity is kinda like fuel tank size needs, it varies depending on what you use
    State of Charge Sealed or Flooded Lead Acid battery voltage Gel battery voltage AGM battery voltage
    100% 12.65+ 12.85+ 12.80+
    75% 12.40 12.65 12.60
    50% 12.30 12.35 12.30
    25% 12.00 12.00 12.00
    0% 11.80 11.80 11.80
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Old thread. Anyone tried the 50ah Ionic as a starting battery on 40-70hp motor? I know they are a deep cycle.
    Ty

15. Member
    I have the 2 50AH set up on my alluminum boat I can run full days of about 9 to 10 hours and most times I will have 55% to 48% left
    It will take about 2 to 3 hours to be charged again

16. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Old thread. Anyone tried the 50ah Ionic as a starting battery on 40-70hp motor? I know they are a deep cycle.
    Ty
    would not recommend it, the 50ah only has 50a discharge, and 170a max 3 second draw, the BMS was not designed to handle starting amps
    it is possible that it will start a motor that size but it would be hard on the BMS, a 4 stroke that starts instantly may be ok but a 2 stroke would probably trip the overload
    info@drewcraft.com

17. Wren
    2018 Skeeter ZX 225, 2018 Sho 225, 36v 112 Minn Kota

i have 3-50A for trolling and 1-125A for cranking

fishing tournaments until 3pm have never gotten the trolling below 74%. Ran into a situation a few weeks back engine didn’t crank due to fuel pump went out had to troll in. Trolling motor on 100% trolling 37 minutes straight without stopping got back to landing and batteries were still at 34%. Forgot to mention that was after fishing from daybreak until 2pm and then started trolling getting back to landing around 2:40pm.

The 50A are amazing and all I think I will need.

18. Member
    I have two 50 ah iconic battery’s runnning my new lowrance I have fish 3 tournaments now . Two on the Ohio River and one on a lake several times just out fishing all day the lowest I have seen my battery’s go down to is 55% most of the time only 75% still remaining . Basscat Puma .

Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    I have two 50 ah iconic battery’s runnning my new lowrance I have fish 3 tournaments now . Two on the Ohio River and one on a lake several times just out fishing all day the lowest I have seen my battery’s go down to is 55% most of the time only 75% still remaining . Basscat Puma .
    Are you going to add a 3rd to run the Lowrance at 36V?
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

20. Member
    I haven’t decided yet on that, as it’s running better on the two lithium’s than it was on the wets cells . If my starting battery wasn't so new I would of went lithium there also .