Thread: Neko rig hook?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Neko rig hook?

A few day ago I lost a bass on Neko Rig, hooked her about 5-10 seconds before she is gone. Today I missed 3 bite in a row same on this Neko rig. I use #1 Trokar wacky weedless hook. The first fish I was using Zman Hula Stick, hook thru plastic about halfway, today I switched to 5” senko with o-ring. It seemed like the bass either too small or only grabbed the tail end. What hook do you guy normally use with Neko Rig? The past month I only landed a few fish but lost a whole lot more on this Neko Rig.

2. Member
    VMC Neko hook #2 I also use it as my dropshot hook
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

You need the bigger Neko style like VMC 1/0

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbitef11 View Post
    Yep... what I use.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    ^^^This^^^

6. Member
    Trokar wacky shank is too short. A true neko hook is beneficial. Owner sniper is a good hook, gama, vmc, trokar, mustad, etc. All make a hook that works pretty well. Go with brand you have confidence in and let's us know updated results.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

7. Member
    I use the 1/0 Gamakatsu B10s. Great hook

8. Banned
    Exact one and size I use. Hell I can’t remember the last time I lost a fish. It’s almost a 100% hookup and land ratio. Right through their head every time.

The new Gamakatsu weedless stinger is insanely good for actually being weedless, but I’ve had issues with the weedguard coming off. Gamakatsu made it right, but still not excusable for what they cost. The VMCs are excellent for the price. Those short shank repurposed walleye hooks that get marketed as wacky (and drop shot) hooks are good for losing fish. I don’t even fish them on a drop shot anymore except in ultra clear water. Used to think it was just the nature of the beast with finesse stuff, but turns out that’s not the case. My fish losses have gone way, way down since switching.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    I ordered Mustad titanX 1/0 weedless Neko hook to try out. Man this thing is huge and seem to be a snag magnet. I’ve use #1 worm hook before and those hook snag faster than I can tie a new lure. I always fish Neko around rock/riprap, any input?

11. Member
    Another vote for the VMC Neko #2, only VMC hooks I use but they just work. Shows how marketing works, I used to use Gammy Octopus hooks with pretty average success until Seth Feider turned me on to the VMC Neko, almost NEVER loose fish on it.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Quote Originally Posted by Just_James View Post
    I ordered Mustad titanX 1/0 weedless Neko hook to try out. Man this thing is huge and seem to be a snag magnet. I’ve use #1 worm hook before and those hook snag faster than I can tie a new lure. I always fish Neko around rock/riprap, any input?
    Sounds like you might be going a little too heavy on the weight, but past that I think that Gamakatsu weedless stinger will be your huckleberry. They're spendy at $2 a hook, but the other ones add up quickly when you lose them all the time. These things are crazy sharp, and the hook point holds up as well as any hook I've ever used (that goes across the entire G-finesse lineup, I've found). I *think* they've corrected the issue with weedguards falling out, but if it happens to you just hang onto the hooks. I sent photos of hooks missing weedguards to Gamakatsu customer support and had replacements in short order.

The VMC weedless version will be better than a bare hook, but the fluoro weedguard just isn't stout enough to prevent more than just your incidental hops over logs and things like that. In general that fits with exactly what I've found...If the weedguard is stout enough to actually prevent snags, they also prevent the hook point from "snagging" inside the fish's mouth. If the weedguard allows for good hookups, then it also allows the hook to snag up easily. The fact that the Gamakatsu weedless stinger seems to accomplish both so well is what makes it so good.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

13. Member
    Did this trouble just start for you or has it been chronic? You may want to turn your hook around. Plenty of talk about which direction is best but it may vary depending on hook style/size.

14. Member
    I normally use 1/16 oz or 1.5 gram weight. I like weight exposed so I use crappie jig as weight. I always do hook point up, no matter I hook thru worm or using o-ring.

15. Member
    James , you are the neko rig master .

Do not set the hook, just reel down and load up the rod. The hook will set its self every time, do this after you feel the pressure and weight to be sure they have they whole bait in there mouth. Tis will also reduce the number of fish hooked in the gills or throat.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Gamakatsu wide gap finesse and the weedless version if the situation requires it.

18. Member
    I’m testing out Mustad TitanX weedless 1/0 now, so far it pretty good not a lot of snag at all. I guess the long shrank help a lot. Cannot comment of hook up ratio yet, because I can’t find those damn bass lol. I might have to get smaller size for when rigging with Trick worm.

19. Banned
    Gamakatsu B10 S Stinger Finesse Hook, in size #1 or #2

Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    Gamakatsu B10 S Stinger Finesse Hook, in size #1 or #2
    Great hooks. They make this one in the "nano smooth coat" with their "tournament grade wire" now as well, the B10S - TGW, and it's even better if you can believe it. Best I can tell, it's IDENTICAL to the G-Finesse stinger hook that they market to bass anglers, but costs way less at $10-12 for a 20 pack vs. $5 for a pack of 6. If you don't need anything bigger than 1/0 and don't need a weedguard, they're awesome. These are what I've been fishing on a drop shot instead of the classic drop shot hook / re-purposed walleye hook I referenced above.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast