Winter crappie fishing?

Going to try some winter crappie fishing next week on Lake Barkley or maybe kentucky lake. I've watched several videos and read some articles on how to rig jigs and minnows. Do you prefer to put the weight below or above the jig? Or just fish weighted jigs with no spit shot or drop shot rig?
    Thanks!

2. Member
    Depending on how the fish are setup should decide. To me if they’re related to the bottom I like a jig, adding split shots up the line if you need the weight to get to the depth or deal with the wind. If they’re suspended I like a drop shot with just a hook and minnow. If it’s a mix or 10’ or less, I love a hair jig with or without a float!!
    Good luck, pretty jealous, only way I’m getting Crappie right now is vertical jigging through the ice.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. Member
    Haven't bought minnows in over 20 years. With the cold water with plastics your best bet is sliders or 2" curltails on warmer sunny days. . With cold water they dont like too much vibration thus the sliders or strike king works better. Use your electronics to locate them and its pretty easy after their located. Some days we might have to drop shot for them using 3" plastic worms and a crappie nibble.. Year round (minus the ice) we just use ball or football jigs. August thru oct we love our 1/4oz footballs and 4" curltails.

4. Member
    I prefer to use 1/2 oz weight above a swivel on mainline then drop a leader off of it with 2, 1/8 oz jigs below. If this set up is dropped too fast you can get some jig tangling but allows too hold very still in vertical.
    2019 Ranger rt188c
    115 pro xs ct
    Ulterra 24v ipilot link
    bird helix 9 gen2 mega console
    bird helix 10 gen3 mega bow
    spyderlok r100 rod holders
    spyderlok r300 transport

5. Member
    Depending on wind and or current, we just use 1/16th, 1/8th, or 1/4 oz jigs heads with anywhere from 1 to 4 inch plastic baits. Most popular for us is probably a 1/8th oz head and a 2 to 3 inch body. No one i know buys minnows except when chasing walleye in the early days after ice out. Some of the structure we fish, a double rig would last about 30 seconds before having to retie a new set on.

6. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    1/32, 1/16 or 1/8th is all I use. I usually run a tandem set up for vertical jigging.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

7. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    We vertical jig 3/32 oz jigs and tubes 10-14 foot deep over brush. I haven’t used a minnow in over 30 years. The bite is good til the lake freezes which it hasn’t yet.

Dale Sinclair original