Thread: Power Question

Power Question

Got a question regarding power hookup at campgrounds. I currently have a 30 amp camper. Campground we are looking at only have 50 amp spots availableas of now. Can I run my 30 amp camper off a 50 amp hookup. I know they make adapters that go from 50 amp to 30 amp. So I am assuming they make a 30 amp to 50 amp hookup. Thanks
    "Montani semper liberi"

2. Member
    Yes, just go buy a “dog bone” 50 to 30amp. Then you will plug into the adapter. Wal Mart will have what you need.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

3. Banned
    Yep. I keep things like this in the trailer just in case. You never know where the locations of hook-ups will be in various locations. 30/50, extra water hose, sewer hose and power extension. I've needed the water extension a few times and the sewer extension once. I've used the power extension when boondocking and want to get the generators the farthest away.

Yep, if you're set up for 30 amps, you can use an adapter and be just fine. You can hook into more amps than you're set up for as you only will use 30 amps. If you were set up for 50 amps, you can still adapt to it, but you may not be able to run everything at the same time.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    You probably won't need an adapter but it doesn't hurt to keep one in the camper all the time, just in case. In my experience the sites that advertise "50 amp" almost always have both 30amp and 50amp outlets on the power pedestal. In fact, I have not seen any with 50amp outlets that did not also have a 30amp but you will see plenty that have a 30amp outlet but not a 50amp. And, it's perfectly fine to use an adapter if you need to. That extra hot leg you have on a 50amp plug is just a dead end on the adapter. It plugs into the outlet but it just dead ends into head of the plug and is not connected to any wiring internally. So you just end up with a single hot, neutral, and a ground running into the actual wiring, just like a 30amp should have.

I only have 30amp service in my camper but I always keep an adapter around and on one trip I was glad I had it. We were hooked up to the 30amp and the breaker was bad. It was a privately owned campground 600 miles from home and it was sold out. I really didn't want to have to mess around with telling the owner about the breaker and then not having electric while waiting on someone to fix it. So, I just flipped the 30amp breaker off and plugged my adapter into the 50amp and didn't have another issue all week. I was glad I had it, saved me time and a possible headache.

6. Member
    Thanks for all the help. I ordered a 50-30 amp power cord and i am now ready to go.
    "Montani semper liberi"