Solix chart speed slow using Med/high frequency at same time after update?

Hi guys
    Updated my Solix12si(g1) and now using medium/high frequency at same time in 2d the scroll rate is so slow it's almost not useable. If I use separately scroll rate is normal. Saw someone else having issue but can't find post. Anyone else have this issue or suggestions?

Can I disable si/di when I'm not using them or change ping sequence maybe?

Any suggestions for changing chirp to certain ranges on medium and high that might help?

Mostly wanting to locate fish in 2D while idiling and see if there hugging bottom are in cover. I have no problem seeing fish suspended when using medium only but I really want the full benefit of unit.
    I really appreciate any help or suggestions.
    Steve

Did you RESTORE DEFAULTS after you updated the unit?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Yep also a second time after problem

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I'm having the same issue... Only when using the Medium/High setting on the 2D sonar. It slows the chart rate down on everything. I'm also noticing that the 2D image is not in sync with the DI image. I typically divide my screen into 4 quadrants and run the 2D above the DI so I can compare the 2 to better determine what I'm seeing. The 2D image scroll seems to lag behind the DI scroll. They are at the same speed (if I'm not using Med/High) but the images aren't exactly stacked as they were before.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

The screen scroll speed does slow down when using dual frequency since that is an extra sonar pulse being broadcast. Makes no difference if SI and DI is functioning or not. Med and High alternate broadcasting since they use the same piezo. One pulses and waits for a return echo, then the next frequency is pulsed--repeat.. The deeper the water, the more lag there is.

You can turn off SI and DI if you want. Just go to the Setup menu CHIRP Sonar, Transducer Setting, then down to Down Imaging--over to the right to DI Pinging change to OFF. Do the same with the Side Imaging selection.
    When you turn off the SI and DI, there will be a note on those views stating "Pinging Disabled"
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The screen scroll speed does slow down when using dual frequency since that is an extra sonar pulse being broadcast. Makes no difference if SI and DI is functioning or not. Med and High alternate broadcasting since they use the same piezo. One pulses and waits for a return echo, then the next frequency is pulsed--repeat.. The deeper the water, the more lag there is.

You can turn off SI and DI if you want. Just go to the Setup menu CHIRP Sonar, Transducer Setting, then down to Down Imaging--over to the right to DI Pinging change to OFF. Do the same with the Side Imaging selection.
    When you turn off the SI and DI, there will be a note on those views stating "Pinging Disabled"
    Do you think it would help to narrow both the ranges, if yes any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by deadadrift89 View Post
    Do you think it would help to narrow both the ranges, if yes any suggestions?
    It may, you can find you very quickly just by turning 2D CHIRP off. Then you will have 83 kHz and 200 kHz single frequency.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I'm having the same issue... Only when using the Medium/High setting on the 2D sonar. It slows the chart rate down on everything. I'm also noticing that the 2D image is not in sync with the DI image. I typically divide my screen into 4 quadrants and run the 2D above the DI so I can compare the 2 to better determine what I'm seeing. The 2D image scroll seems to lag behind the DI scroll. They are at the same speed (if I'm not using Med/High) but the images aren't exactly stacked as they were before.
    When you have time please call Humminbird and let them know your having issue to. When I spoke to them they hadn't recognized it as being an issue yet and said they'd try and replicate. Hopefully future software update will address this.

9. Member
    It may, you can find you very quickly just by turning 2D CHIRP off. Then you will have 83 kHz and 200 kHz single frequency.
    I'll give that a try next time out. I'm also going to order the XNT 14 HW T as we discussed the other day and give that a try and hopefully I can see fish around cover better.
    Thanks again

I'll give that a try next time out. I'm also going to order the XNT 14 HW T as we discussed the other day and give that a try and hopefully I can see fish around cover better.
    Thanks again
    You won't have any alternating frequencies using High CHIRP. It is only one frequency range 150-220 kHz--I think.

edited; what I had posted was the standard HW CHIRP settings.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    You won't have any alternating frequencies using High CHIRP. It is only one frequency range 150-220 kHz--I think.
    edited; what I had posted was the standard HW CHIRP settings.
    Will this still allow me to get good "arches" on fish returns while idiling

Will this still allow me to get good "arches" on fish returns while idiling
    A fish arch is a result of TIME and DISTANCE. Time is how long a fish is within the sonar pulses (coverage) and DISTANCE is how far a fish is from the transducer.

83 kHz or 75-95 kHz has the most coverage (60 degrees) so there is more TIME that a fish is within the sonar pulses. So basically with the same boat speed and chart speed, a fish arch will be less using the higher frequency.
    Fish arches will be sharper with the HW piezo since that is CHIRP rated.

This is Med CHIRP (60 degrees spec) and High CHIRP (20 degrees spec) at the same time:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Thanks that really helps seeing it side by side

14. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I did some additional testing on this and I get the 2D rate slowdown even when only specifying "Medium". It works fine if I select the "High" frequency but when selecting either "Medium" or "Medium/High", I get the 2D slowdown when compared with the DI... It is about a 50% slowdown.

I also tried multiple Chart Speeds between 1 to 10 and the slowdown occurs in all of them.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I did some additional testing on this and I get the 2D rate slowdown even when only specifying "Medium". It works fine if I select the "High" frequency but when selecting either "Medium" or "Medium/High", I get the 2D slowdown when compared with the DI... It is about a 50% slowdown.

I also tried multiple Chart Speeds between 1 to 10 and the slowdown occurs in all of them.
    With number series and Helix units, 200 kHz pings all the time no matter which frequency you choose to view. It provides the Depth readout.
    The SOLIX and ONIX may do that also, I have never checked on the water.
    Sooo, if that is the case with Dual Beam, anytime you choose 83 kHz you are just adding that to the ping sequence.

If you run the unit in Simulator and choose 83 kHz, you loose the 2D displaying but still get a depth readout.
    The displayed frequency is 0-0 kHz.

The reason you loose the 2D is because the one that did the Simulator recording forgot to turn on 83 kHz.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    With number series and Helix units, 200 kHz pings all the time no matter which frequency you choose to view. It provides the Depth readout.
    The SOLIX and ONIX may do that also, I have never checked on the water.
    Sooo, if that is the case with Dual Beam, anytime you choose 83 kHz you are just adding that to the ping sequence.

If you run the unit in Simulator and choose 83 kHz, you loose the 2D displaying but still get a depth readout.
    The displayed frequency is 0-0 kHz.

The reason you loose the 2D is because the one that did the Simulator recording forgot to turn on 83 kHz.
    The testing I did was not in Simulator mode. I was on the water and it was live while I was trolling for Stripers... Not a recording and not the simulator. When I set it to Medium or Medium/High, I get the 2D scroll speed slowdown. It appears to be almost half of the speed I have set. If I put the 2D above the DI, things "appear" on the right at the same time but when the item goes off the DI screen, it is still only about half way across the 2D screen. If I put 2D on "High", the 2 stay in perfect sync as the move across the screen.