250 pro xs 4 stroke

Took delivery on boat yesterday and have not put in water yet but did notice when we shift to forward with nothing running prop still turns free is this normal or do I have a problem.
    How I noticed that was being old school always put moto in gear so it didn't rotate during towing.

2. Member
    Just found answer to what I asked , The computer controls the engagement in gear so if not running it won't shift into gear the way I understand it .

That's correct. The mechanical shift cable is hooked to a digital control.
    I don't think there's anyway these will spin on the highway.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Additionally, do not attempt to shift if the engine is not running. Doing so moves the shift position sensor and may potentially result in mis-matches with the Actuator positions.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor