Rectifier/Regulator Questions

1986 Mercury 175 HP Blackmax
    sn: 0B169682

Having trouble with erratic tach. Replacing the rectifier.

Does this motor only only have one rectifier? Is this the correct Mercury part number: 8M0058226 ? Is this part number both a rectifier AND a voltage regulator? If not, does this motor have a separate voltage regulator?

Thanks so much for the help.

Ron

2. Member
    The 1986 Mercury 175 was built with only one rectifier and no separate voltage regulator. 8M0058226 is now the OEM Mercury/Quicksilver part # for the rectifier only.

3. Member
    Thanks for the help. So this motor has NOTHING to regulate the charge to the battery?

is it because the charging capacity is so minimal that the battery has to just take whatever it gets?

Ron

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    The 1986 Mercury 175 was built with only one rectifier and no separate voltage regulator. 8M0058226 is now the OEM Mercury/Quicksilver part # for the rectifier only.
    9 amp system only uses rectumfire no regulator
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Thanks Joe.

That sounds sort of painful!!

Ron

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    9 amp system only uses rectumfire no regulator
    What we used to call them too.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not really enough output to over-charge in most cases. Especially if you run ANY accessories in the boat.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks, Don.

I will probably be replacing the starting battery in the near future. For this motor and charging system, I understand I should stick with a lead acid, non maintenance free battery.

Would you recommend just a starting battery or a starting/deep cycle combo?

Thanks,
    Ron

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Starting/Cranking battery would be what I would recommend... although this particular system is not nearly as common to experience problems, provided that battery connections are clean and WRENCH tight.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Thanks Don.