Question for you AR Guys

I have built 3 different ARs, all in 5.56/.223, a couple in carbine length and one in mid length, all 16" barrels. I still have a stripped lower in the cabinet and am thinking about doing something different. Maybe 5.56/.223 in a 20" barrel or even a 300 Blackout. Not sure. What all calibers can be built on a standard lower?

The other guns I build were all fairly inexpensive with parts from PSA and shoot great but thinking a long distance gun could be cool, too. I've seen some videos of someone shooting coyotes with an FLIR scope and may do that if I can scratch up the dough.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

As far as calibers, there are a bunch! Some off the top of my head:

.204 Ruger
    .300 Blk
    .300 HAM’R
    6.5 Grendel
    6.8 SPC
    .22 Nosler
    .224 Valkyrie
    .350 Legend
    .375 SOCOM
    .450 Bushmaster
    .50 Beowulf
    7.62 x 39

I know people with these calibers in AR-15 platforms. Tons more out there. What do you want to do with this new rifle?
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

I would build an M16A1 profile as that's what I had back in the days of my Army life. Just like the 20'' barrel and triangle shape grips for nostalgic purposes.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

300 blackout pistol, 8 inch barrel.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Member
    I really enjoy a good pistol build. I like 10.5" barrels, had good luck with Aero Precision parts for upper and lower, and the SB tactical SBA3 pistol brace. Throw a good trigger in it, and they are surprisingly fun to shoot at distance (200 yards or so) with a decent optic.

I also have experience with 20" barrel variants and they are a ton of fun in their own right. I cant say which way you should go, but if you don't own an AR pistol / sbr type rig, you should give it a try!
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayrhye View Post
    I really enjoy a good pistol build. I like 10.5" barrels, had good luck with Aero Precision parts for upper and lower, and the SB tactical SBA3 pistol brace. Throw a good trigger in it, and they are surprisingly fun to shoot at distance (200 yards or so) with a decent optic.

I also have experience with 20" barrel variants and they are a ton of fun in their own right. I cant say which way you should go, but if you don't own an AR pistol / sbr type rig, you should give it a try!
    I am the opposite. I see no use for an ar pistol. In a rifle caliber the short barrel kills the performance and if it is a pistol practical accuracy will suffer. A short barrel is practical if we are talking 9mm and the like though I will never go through the hassle to have a SBR.

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    I would build an M16A1 profile as that's what I had back in the days of my Army life. Just like the 20'' barrel and triangle shape grips for nostalgic purposes.
    I built one like that for my dad a few years ago for his birthday. He's a Viet Nam vet and he really likes it. Only thing it doesn't have is the triangle shaped fore-stock. It was round but he changed it for a rail stock anyhow. He also wishes the safety had another detente in it.
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

I'm looking to do another rifle build. Probably a 20" or more barrel. Probably going to use it for coyotes and hogs.
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    I'm looking to do another rifle build. Probably a 20" or more barrel. Probably going to use it for coyotes and hogs.
    In that case, 6.5 Grendel is what you seek.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

6.5 Grendel is going to be my next. If you don't have a 300 black out I'd recommend it too. very fun suppressed with subs and supers.

11. Member
    I’ve got a 300 blackout with the 10.5 inch barrel and it’s a blast to shoot, accuracy lacks after 75 yds but that could be the shooter lol

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    I had Rock River put together a custom build for me in .223 Wylde with a 20" stainless barrel and it is a tack driver.

13. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    I have a heavy barrel 18" in 6.5 Grendel it will reach out there, was torn between it and a 224 Valkyrie. I have a 350 legend barrel on the way just for fun for a different upper. These dang things are like adult leggos. Just guessing but the 6.5 G or 224 V would be good choices for you.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

14. Member
    I built an upper for my AR A2. 24" SS Fluted barrel, Put a 6x20 scope on it for prairie dogs and other varments. And just fun to shoot. I also have a A-4 lower that I purchased a 300 blackout upper for. Next will be a 350 legend for deer hunting.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    I put a replica M16A1 together last year, minus the select fire function of course. All the retro furniture parts are available as is a tri prong flash hider. I used a one piece upper with the carry handle sights, I really like the old style look of it.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.