Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2007 Bullet 21XDC / 300XS Insurance

Does anyone in the state of Florida (near Jacksonville) know who will write a policy on the 21XDC/300XS for a reasonable rate. I have had this boat since it was new and I cannot find anyone who will insure it for less than an arm and leg. My rates have up until now been pretty reasonable and I have never filed a claim on it or any other boat. The part that turns the underwriters off is the 300XS on the back of it. They say it is to fast but I rarely ever run it over 60 since the only place I fish is the Stick Marsh / Farm 13. It is getting frustrating to the point that i am thinking about selling it and quitting bass fishing. I have been doing it for almost 60 years and I still love it but I am to the point that I would rather sell it than pay a big cost for insurance since the boat sits in my garage for 10 months out of the year. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    I dont live in FL but have you tried going through Bob Lewellen @ World Wide Marine? I’ve been with him for over 10 yrs with 2 different 21-10 Bullets both with 300’s. He’s a board sponsor & only deals boat ins. 800-339-1235. If that fails try Wozencraft. 714-883-8681. Theres an ins post on Scream & Fly for high performance boats & I saw a lot of recommendations for Wozencraft.

3. Member
    Don’t insure it. Get an umbrella to cover liability. Gets to a point that the cost vs value makes it better to insure yourself.

4. Member
    This summer I got another bullet a 21 xdc with a 300 x . I have a house in Florida and Illinois , insurance in Florida was 650 and 325 in Illinois , so I got it registered in Illinois
    Last edited by bullet11; 01-09-2020 at 08:17 PM.

5. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Don’t insure it. Get an umbrella to cover liability. Gets to a point that the cost vs value makes it better to insure yourself.
    Not wanting to disagree but all Umbrella policies require each line of business to carry a minimum limit of liability
    Auto 250/500,000
    Home 500,000
    Boat 300,000

The umbrella policy will only respond until after the limit has been met. Example. You are driving your boat and run over a swimmer. He lives and sues you for $200,000. Your boat policy will respond. Umbrella will not. Second example that same swimmer dies and the family files suits for $1,000,000. Your boat policy will respond first with 300,000. Your umbrella second for 700,000. An umbrella will do nothing unless the primary limit of insurance is met and exceeded. If you’re dealing with a self insured retention, it will still require the minimum limit of insurance for the boat. Don’t mean to interject but don’t want the OP getting wrong info.

Ironically I received a non renewal on my Bullet today lol my carrier stopped writing marine insurance so I’m now also in the market.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

6. Member
    Call Auto Owners, I will agree, the 300 makes it hard, I have one, World Wide was HIGH on my quote and I've NEVER had a claim period

Here in WV, I went through State Farm, cause that’s where I have my auto and never had an issue. Got plenty of coverage and pay monthly around $30 something.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

8. Member
    Thanks guys for all the input. I am not going to give up looking until all options are exhausted. I am kind of old and retired and only fish two or three times a year now although each of my trips down south consists of five days (2 travel days and 3 fishing days). I got a quote from Bob (world wide marine) but it was twice as high as I have been paying since I bought the boat. State Farm insured it for a few years but they wont do it now. Progressive also had it for a while but sent me a non renewal notice. Last year I had it through Charter agency but got another non renewal notice for this year. The new offer they gave me was more than twice what I was paying for less coverage. It makes me want to replace the 300XS with a 250 just so I can insure it but that would cost me a fortune even though my motor has less than 130 hrs on it since new. I will keep looking.

9. Member
    I'd be willing to bet you could go from a 300 to a 250 without it costing you a dime as long as you aren't wanting new. You could probably even make some money if you went with a 250 of similar year as your motor. If you posted on here that you wanted to trade your 300 for a similar condition 250 there would probably be a line of people wanting to make that trade. I'm not saying that you should do that, but if you did it wouldn't cost you a fortune.

10. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    I called Bob yesterday but wasn't available so hoping either he or someone from his office gets back to me...what insurance carriers does Bob represent?
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfaro View Post
    Not wanting to disagree but all Umbrella policies require each line of business to carry a minimum limit of liability
    Auto 250/500,000
    Home 500,000
    Boat 300,000

The umbrella policy will only respond until after the limit has been met. Example. You are driving your boat and run over a swimmer. He lives and sues you for $200,000. Your boat policy will respond. Umbrella will not. Second example that same swimmer dies and the family files suits for $1,000,000. Your boat policy will respond first with 300,000. Your umbrella second for 700,000. An umbrella will do nothing unless the primary limit of insurance is met and exceeded. If you’re dealing with a self insured retention, it will still require the minimum limit of insurance for the boat. Don’t mean to interject but don’t want the OP getting wrong info.

Ironically I received a non renewal on my Bullet today lol my carrier stopped writing marine insurance so I’m now also in the market.
    Jay, you're right. I remember that conversation with my insurance company now. I had to increase my auto insurance. Crooks

12. Member
    I got a quote from Markel and although it was higher than I was paying buy $300 it is a slightly better coverage than I had. Has anyone dealt with them before. I don't know much about the company other than I have heard of them being mentioned on BBC before.
    Last edited by YoungRE2; 01-10-2020 at 06:58 PM.

13. Member
    I use progressive , if your local Chris Fitts I think still does boat insurance .
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

14. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    I use progressive , if your local Chris Fitts I think still does boat insurance .
    Thanks Al. I know Chris from working in the insurance industry.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfaro View Post
    Thanks Al. I know Chris from working in the insurance industry.
    n/p Jay I used him for years not sure how I ended up not using him ... great guy
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    I had Progressive for several years with no claims. They sent me a non renewal notice over a year ago. They said my boat was to fast was the reason. Its their loss not mine. They lost a customer who's boat was rarely used and sits in my garage 10 months a year and the only place I fish is the Stick Marsh. I have been fishing there over13 years and never one problem. I do not run my boat hard or fast.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungRE2 View Post
    I had Progressive for several years with no claims. They sent me a non renewal notice over a year ago. They said my boat was to fast was the reason. Its their loss not mine. They lost a customer who's boat was rarely used and sits in my garage 10 months a year and the only place I fish is the Stick Marsh. I have been fishing there over13 years and never one problem. I do not run my boat hard or fast.
    That's the problem with insurance you pay never have a claim and they still raise the premium constantly , not a fan . Been in a bass boat since 1993 never had a claim seems like a waste of money looking back.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

18. Member
    Progressive used to have a 10 year free replacement, but that went away years ago, they're fine for a 250, but wouldn't insure my 300

19. Member
    I wouldn't let progressive insure a moped from the experience I've had with them.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

20. Member
    I have a Gambler 2200 with a 300x insured thru a local Insurance co. but ends up at Progressive,maybe they figure it is not too fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast