Passive Airflow For Compartments?

2 months of the boat sitting uncovered out in the WA rain. I opened my compartments to see how things were. They are generally dry but plenty of condensation on all the lids except for the starboard rear bin.
    There's enough condensations where it will drip.

My rods are moldy. My throwable cushion that was in the fiberglass bin has mold spots on it from where the droplets landed I guess.

Will adding insulation foam to the lids help out with the condensation or will it just hide it? Hmmm, maybe some spray foam with a form on the bottom of the lid until it cures?

If moisture presents itself within the compartments, anything porous will acquire mold. I do not think insulation foam or spray will prevent what your ultimately wanting to achieve. Best thing you can do to prevent that is to open and allow air to ventilate to dry any condensation within.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    2 months of the boat sitting uncovered out in the WA rain. I opened my compartments to see how things were. They are generally dry but plenty of condensation on all the lids except for the starboard rear bin.

My rods are moldy. My throwable cushion that was in the fiberglass bin has mold spots on it from where the droplets landed I guess.

Will adding insulation foam to the lids help out with the condensation or will it just hide it? Hmmm, maybe some spray foam with a form on the bottom of the lid until it cures?
    Living in SFL, I can relate 100% with what your saying here. I can fortunately store my boat at home, BUT.... I don't have a garage, so I keep the boat under its custom cover, COVERED at all times unless I'm going fishing of course. Due to our humid conditions, I cannot keep my rods and reels in the rod box. When I first got the boat I stored all my rods in the locker and that was very short lived. So I now load my rods the night before a trip. It sucks, I know, but it beats having my reels oxidizing in the locker. My baits and other fishing related stuff stay stored in the boat with out issues however. I keep 4 of the bigger Damp rid containers distributed in the lockers at all times, and they only last about 3 weeks before they need to be re-filled.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

4. Member
    good afternoon,

have you tried silica packs on ebay? all sizes available...…..just sayin

good luck,
    PURA VIDA,
    bluebonnet2

5. Member
    With how much condensation there was, I imagine you'll need a pillow case size pack of desiccant lol.

Not really sure if they will help much. Thought maybe some of those Damp Rid but it seems those collect water and you'll need to drain them.

The compartments aren't air tight, so I think having air flow would be best for this. Maybe cut a hole and insert those vent plates. Hell, maybe a modified deckplate will work too. Close it up when it's an absolute downpour or for travels.

Maybe something like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2Z5SOGD4B&th=1
    Last edited by BoatNoobie; 01-10-2020 at 11:38 PM.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario

If

Why is your boat uncovered?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Why is your boat uncovered?
    It was at the Mercury dealer, dealing with a oil leak.

8. Member
    It was at the Mercury dealer, dealing with a oil leak.
    If you had a cover and took it to them they should have covered the boat if they were going to have it out in the weather for extended periods of time. I know you had a lot of issues with ordering your boat and some of it was miscommunication between the factory and the dealer. I would have had PLENTY to say to the owner of the dealership if my boat had been treated that way. If you don’t have or didn’t supply a cover that’s on you.

I believed the member that put a ventilation system in their boat was Bill Reynolds.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    If you had a cover and took it to them they should have covered the boat if they were going to have it out in the weather for extended periods of time. I know you had a lot of issues with ordering your boat and some of it was miscommunication between the factory and the dealer. I would have had PLENTY to say to the owner of the dealership if my boat had been treated that way. If you don’t have or didn’t supply a cover that’s on you.

I believed the member that put a ventilation system in their boat was Bill Reynolds.
    The local Vexus dealer closed up the local shop and consolidated to their main shop that is now 4 hours away. This was at a local Mercury service shop instead. No cover for them. I have a generic cover I use while it's stored outside but not for travel. I put the polyurea and compartments to the test. The coating did it's job and looks great. The bins, not impressed lol.

I did order a set of those vents. Going to see how they look in person and may test it out.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post

That's his name. Bill Reynolds. Thank you Lowerider58.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

The joys of being a Washington state boat owner. When stored outside a good cover, propping the covers open and placing a fan/electric heater in the front blowing to the rear goes a long way. When the weather forecast is for no rain raising the cover out to allow full ventilation also helps.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

12. Member
    I just watched a dealer video reviewing the AVX1980. First thing he did was open the bilge compartment. Water was literally dripping down the wiring. Every compartment had significant condensation on the lid. Amazing that they released the video like that. Definitely a bigger issue that I had originally expected. FWIW, I leave my compartments cracked open on my current glass boat. Otherwise, after a month or so, the seals stick so bad that they are very hard to open. Also prevents the two compartments without carpet from getting moldy.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    I just watched a dealer video reviewing the AVX1980. First thing he did was open the bilge compartment. Water was literally dripping down the wiring. Every compartment had significant condensation on the lid. Amazing that they released the video like that. Definitely a bigger issue that I had originally expected. FWIW, I leave my compartments cracked open on my current glass boat. Otherwise, after a month or so, the seals stick so bad that they are very hard to open. Also prevents the two compartments without carpet from getting moldy.
    You got a link? I have had mine for 7 months now and never had the issue you are referring to, and have fished in some heavy rain for hours and hours.

14. Member
    Try this:

If that does not work, go on Youtube and search for North Texas Marine Vexus. Title is Vexus AVX1980 at North Texas Marine. I hear that they are a solid dealer, but do not know them.

15. Member
    I bought three of the 4" vents shown in the above amazon link. They look very nice and seem to be high quality. I'm undecided on how to secure them in place. Maybe put in 2 small holes on the flange and drilled into the boat. Maybe use silicone to hold it in place. Maybe use some acrylic adhesive tape to secure it. Or even hot glue. I really don't want to use the silicone because I don't want to remove the silicone if I change things up.

I also bought two 5" holes, so I can put 1 on each side of the rod compartment to connect to the side compartments to get more air flow.

16. Member
    You can clearly tell, that boat had just been washed and not fully dried.

I own a 1980 and every time I leave it outside without a cover the storage box on the front deck starboard side fills with water if it rains. When I open the lid it appears that the seal is doing its job where it contacts the lid since the condensation stops where the lid meets the seal, but what could be the cause of this? I’ve checked all the way around the bottom of the seal and there doesn’t appear to be separation nor is there any extreme wetness in the carpet running down the side of the box. There is some water build up in the rod box in the corner closest to that storage box as well so is there some issue with the way the water funnels to the rear on that side of the boat? The only thing that might have caused a water flow issue would be that the boat was leaning a little to the starboard side when it was sitting in my driveway. The other storage boxes stay bone dry but it soaked all the stuff in that box and who knows when I’ll get caught in the rain fishing. Any thoughts?