2021 200hp pro xs fuel.....

About to star my break in process. According to my book I can run up to 10% ethanol. Dumb question....but if I have the option I would assume running ethanol-free 91 octane would be the better option? Also does anyone run any additive to the fuel during break in?Thanks in advance
    "We all have it commin kid....." Will Munny

2. Member
    No, I have the same motor ( Mercury V8 Pro XS ) and I did not get the best performance with 91 octane even if it was ethanol free. I would use what is recommended, 87 octane with ethanol or not.

Yes the Fuel mapping in the PCM is designed for 87-89, running 91 is not suggested...
    running Dons cocktail with a 10% ethanol or less fuel will do the trick...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your engine was built for and requires 87 octane fuel.

From the FAQ Section:

Fuel Selection:

Make your fuel selections based on the following criteria, IN THE FOLLOWING ORDER:

-High Traffic, Top-Tier (Name Brand) Fuel
    -Appropriate Octane Rating (see above info)
    -Lowest possible ethanol content (NEVER to exceed 10%).
    -While it may be preferable to utilize a fuel that contains lower (or no) ethanol, use of fuels that are SUBSTANTIALLY higher octane can result in decreased performance, decreased fuel economy, and potential for carbon buildup. Higher octane fuels burn SLOWER and COOLER.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thank you very much!
    "We all have it commin kid....." Will Munny