Adding split rings(bladed jigs)

Im having a heck of a time adding split rings to my jig heads and blades.... takes me forever and the split rings are all out of shape by the time i get one on... not sure what in doing wrong, im using #2 owners and have 3 different split ring pliers including the Texas Tackle one...my problem is i cant get the rings to open up enough.... should i be using #3 split rings? But i still have to get them open more to slide on my jig head and blade... just kind of frustrated, it cant be rocket science lol... Any ideas? Hope im making sense

If the rings are ending up deformed, it sounds like you're using split rings that are too small.

I'm assuming that the issue is with getting the split ring open enough to go around the hook eye? If it's the blade, there's a bit of a technique to it...a little tough to explain, but basically you want to start with the blade oriented in line with the split in the split ring then use the curvature of the ring to work it onto the blade. If you do it right, you can basically attach the blade without even using split ring pliers though the pliers still help to get it started.

As for opening the ring up enough for the hook eye, I've always used split ring pliers just to get a small gap opened up, then used the hook eye (hanger) to create opposing force enough to open the ring while rotating it into place. Basically get the part that you've opened up facing you, get the rest of the split ring behind the hook eye, then pull with the pliers against the hook eye to get the opening apart as much as needed. Again, tough to describe, but hopefully that makes sense.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Thank you for the nice helpful information. The main problem is getting the split ring wide enough open For the jig head. The hook eye is fairly thick. I did just order some #3 split rings to see if thats the problem....But after reading your comments i will try again. Thank you. QUOTE=DrewFlu33;10773258]If the rings are ending up deformed, it sounds like you're using split rings that are too small.

I'm assuming that the issue is with getting the split ring open enough to go around the hook eye? If it's the blade, there's a bit of a technique to it...a little tough to explain, but basically you want to start with the blade oriented in line with the split in the split ring then use the curvature of the ring to work it onto the blade. If you do it right, you can basically attach the blade without even using split ring pliers though the pliers still help to get it started.

As for opening the ring up enough for the hook eye, I've always used split ring pliers just to get a small gap opened up, then used the hook eye (hanger) to create opposing force enough to open the ring while rotating it into place. Basically get the part that you've opened up facing you, get the rest of the split ring behind the hook eye, then pull with the pliers against the hook eye to get the opening apart as much as needed. Again, tough to describe, but hopefully that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

4. Member
    #3 is what I use....no isseus.

5. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I use #2 with no issues. I take my time and open the rings just enough to get blade on AFTER i get the jig eye on. no need to open that split ring WIDE.....take your time and you can do it.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

Thanks for the help guys... figured out what was wrong, i was trying to man handle them..lol.... i just needs to be more finesse and take a little more time...and get my method down ... thanks, Bill.... that and it helps with better lighting
    Last edited by Black Haze; 01-10-2020 at 03:22 PM.