Banned

Oil for 225 Evinrude HO DI

I have a 2005 Evinrude 225 HO DI, has anyone used this oil in their motors. XD-50 is getting very hard to find in my area, would be nice to be able to use this oil. Comparing the labels they seam to be the same product. TIA for any information you can provide...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sixpack1; 01-09-2020 at 11:39 AM.

2. Member
    Not likely what you want to hear, but I’d switch to XD100 and buy in bulk from Dealer (some have 55-gal drums) or even online.

You need to or should be running OMC/Bomb ‘carbon guard’ with every fillup otherwise (w/ true XD50), as I can’t opine on that alternate oil as shown.

I must be one of a few ‘98 Ficht DI 175hp OB owners left who has one still running flawlessly, and for my $$ (and that of a big expen$ive V6 replacement) XD100 keeps it running well!

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    XD 100 is the best oil to run in the DI engines.... That said the synthetic blend should work.....It looks like a different label on xd 50 oil.

As stated, you should be using XD100 in your engine. It does a great job of keeping the carbon from building up, much more than any other oil out there. Carbon is the death of 2 stroke engines. Sure it costs a bit more but when you break it all down it's well worth it. Several online companies to buy it from at a discount or being in FL there should be plenty of dealers selling it in bulk.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sixpack1 View Post
    I have a 2005 Evinrude 225 HO DI, has anyone used this oil in their motors. XD-50 is getting very hard to find in my area, would be nice to be able to use this oil. Comparing the labels they seam to be the same product. TIA for any information you can provide...

That oil was designed as an adequate but lower priced TC-W3 lubricant that would be sold at Xmarts and other outlets. The label on the back said to to use in motors newer than 2004 or direct injected outboards. Is there that kind of disclaimer anywhere on the labels?
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

6. Member
    xd100 or amsoil best bet to use
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member

8. Banned
    I've been running XD50, I may switch to XD100 next and purchase from DOMO. Thanks for the information and advice. That's why I enjoy the BBC...

9. Banned
    What is this carbon guard, I add Sta-bil or Sea Foam every time I add gas to the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by sixpack1 View Post
    What is this carbon guard, I add Sta-bil or Sea Foam every time I add gas to the tank.
    Carbon guard is a product ( much is isopropyl alcohol ) that is supposed to help reduce Carbon build up and is added to the XD50 oil by BRP. The XD100 automatically fights Carbon due to what it's made of. I still use Startron Starbrite for it's supposed ethanol issues fighting properties. However, there have been issues with using Sea Foam in some direct injection engines like the Ficht and Etec. It tends to eat away for lack of better therm the injectors. In my case on my Ficht it cause the injectors to stick open and I had fuel leaking out the bottom of the engine at the small water hole in the LU. My tech asked me if I used additives and I told him Sea Foam. He said it cause the injectors to stick. I stopped using it and the issue went away. A couple years later I wanted to Clean the engine and used it again, same issue happened and then the motor blew. Thus I do not use Sea Foam.

Check out this thread. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=864900&page=5
    Last edited by tdt91; 01-10-2020 at 05:21 PM.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

11. Member
    Evinrude 2+4 as an additive.

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The plus with xd 100 is you don't have to decarb the engine as you would have to do with the semi synthetic oils. Also in cold weather is flows better aleviating the known no oil symptoms especially on the DFI engines...

Hey Bucc,

Check out the link I provided to learn more about 2+4

14. Member
    Whatever, my 2018 150 HO G2 says Evinrude 2+4. So that’s what it will be.