Thread: Driveshaft Play

Driveshaft Play

E150GLERV G03589334

I've been getting milky oil in the lower unit and pressure tested to find the leak. If I move the upper driveshaft (side to side, back and forth) it will leak air by the driveshaft seal, but not when centered or spinning the driveshaft. I replaced the two seals in the bearing housing and get the same result.

How much pay is tolerable? The bearing looks ok, but I suspect if there is too much play, the shaft is worn and/or the bearing.

Shaft doesn't have any grove worn in by feel, but I haven't miced it yet.

Looking at the parts breakdown I don't see the bearing listed separately, does it come in the bearing housing and seal (0397493)?

Do I need to add a shim if it's not the bearing?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes you will get leakage when you wiggle the drive shaft when pressurized. But once seated in the crankshaft it shouldn't blow by. Yes the bearing is included in the part (super ceeds to) 0439476, I rarely see them go bad, I'd replace the seals in the driveshaft bearing housing along with the O ring. Grease the bearing with BRP Triple Guard Grease then re-assemble. I'd also replace the O rings in the shift shaft cover along with a new gasket and replace the nylon washers on the fill and vent screws. Did you replace the O ring on the bearing carrier also?

3. Member
    I replaced the O rings on bearing carrier last fall as well as the prop shaft seal. I had replaced all others except the bearing carrier and prop shaft prior, but still was getting milky oil, not enough for any straight water to come out though. Admittedly, I was apprehensive of pulling the carrier and did that as a last resort, though your help here aided me in doing that with no problem. I finally had to break down and do the pressure test since I replaced all seals.

The seal that was in the driveshaft housing appears to be the wrong one, it was a single seal, versus the two seals shown on the parts breakdown and my factory manual. Now that I replaced those with the correct ones I am hopeful all is well since you helped me with the leakage answer. I had no other leaks when pressurized. The two new seals are much tighter than that single seal I pulled out.

Unfortunately I won't know until I get the boat out in the spring.

Thanks again, Championman!

4. Member
    I haven't had good luck with the one piece seal in my experience. They seem to work their way out of the bore, and as stated, they don't fit very tight. When using the single seals, be sure to put some sealant around the outer perimeter as you install them...