Blown 250 SHO value

I am posting for a friend who has a 2012 Yamaha 250 SHO that just blew up. It had a shortblock recall while it was still under warranty and Yamaha supposedly replaced the shortblock on it. The new powerhead has like 150 hours and the entire motor has less than 500 hours.It broke a valve and dropped it into the cylinder. He is repowering with a new Mercury and the dealer he is dealing with doesn't want the Yamaha on trade. Any idea on the value of his Yamaha? The motor still looks new!

2. Member

Unhappy

I have a 2012 as well that blew up. Going to put new one on. Dealer said they would give me 1500. I can tell you that last year I had the lower unit replaced and it was 5000.
    Last edited by FrogNFlip; 01-09-2020 at 06:00 PM.

3. Member
    I’ll go $2500

4. Member
    $2550

Have a 2011 SHO 250 with 240 hours. My local dealer stated the compression was good and leak test was also good, but they weren't a Yamaha dealer. Took it to one last week and they are stating it has a crack in the block and they want $12,800 to overhaul with a one year warranty. New one is $23,000. Had a new ECU replaced in June for $1800. Calling Yamaha in the a.m. and try to get them to cover under warranty, even though it's a couple years out of their 6 yr extended warranty. Bummed out that it happen with such low hours on the SHO motor. If they won't; I'll be replacing it with a Merc. The Merc dealer said the best they could do on a trade-in is $1000.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikldac View Post
    Have a 2011 SHO 250 with 240 hours. My local dealer stated the compression was good and leak test was also good, but they weren't a Yamaha dealer. Took it to one last week and they are stating it has a crack in the block and they want $12,800 to overhaul with a one year warranty. New one is $23,000. Had a new ECU replaced in June for $1800. Calling Yamaha in the a.m. and try to get them to cover under warranty, even though it's a couple years out of their 6 yr extended warranty. Bummed out that it happen with such low hours on the SHO motor. If they won't; I'll be replacing it with a Merc. The Merc dealer said the best they could do on a trade-in is $1000.
    I've been shopping them all. You can find a new Sho cheaper. But switching to a different brand will cost you much more for rigging.

Actually....not more. In fact, about 3,000 less than what my local Yamaha dealer quoted to replace the SHO - which includes the rigging. There were a number of problems Yamaha had with the 2009-2010 SHOs. Mine has a build date of March 2011. If I had a ton of hours on it; then I wouldn't be so bent out of shape. But at 240 hrs, which averages approximately 30 hours a year, I think it should have held up much longer. And yes, I had it serviced every year and replaced the water pump every other year...whether it needed it or not. It was kept inside my heated warehouse from day one. It would be like buying a brand new car, and in 8 years, you put 16,000 miles on it and then the motor blew up. Would you go buy that same car again. I would bet that 99 % of people would say, "hell no". My boat went in yesterday and I should have it back Wednesday with a new Merc 250 4-stroke with Platinum Warranty and $3,000 more in my pocket.
    Last edited by nikldac; 01-17-2020 at 11:07 AM.

I did talk to Yamaha customer service yesterday and received a "it's out of warranty"...sorry about that. Even though, and recently, I've seen a few posts for both 2011 and 2012 SHOs they covered under warranty. As stated earlier, I had to replace the ECU in June; a few dealers I've talked with this past two weeks said that it was rare for the ECU to go out. I guess I'm just lucky, eh.

9. Member
    I did talk to Yamaha customer service yesterday and received a "it's out of warranty"...sorry about that. Even though, and recently, I've seen a few posts for both 2011 and 2012 SHOs they covered under warranty. As stated earlier, I had to replace the ECU in June; a few dealers I've talked with this past two weeks said that it was rare for the ECU to go out. I guess I'm just lucky, eh.
    I posted about my Brother's 2011 SHO200 that got water in the crankcase after only 130+ hours and was out of warranty. Dealer told him tough luck but I told him to call Yamaha and raise hell and indeed Yamaha replaced his powerhead at no cost.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

10. Member

Sorry to hear about your motor - my 2011 SHO 225 (365 hours) blew up in October. My mechanic reached out to Yamaha to plead my case and received the 'sorry nope' ... one thing he did tell me is that if 1. you're the original owner and 2. you never had the powerhead replaced under warranty that Yamaha will "often" do the replacement for free out of warranty. That said I was the 3rd owner and it already had a new powerhead in 2015.

I hung a new SHO 225 (18k) taking advantage of the promotional 6 year extended warranty offer that was going on around Thanksgiving - I sold my old motor here on BBC and my insurance kicked in about 3k (lower unit had some damage) that helped a little bit but it was still a pretty brutal $$ hit :I.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

11. Member
    I’m the one that purchased from BassinLA13 and looking for another blown sho shoot me a message if anyone is looking for an offer
    Bullet 21xrd Mercury 300xs

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle08 View Post
    I’m the one that purchased from BassinLA13 and looking for another blown sho shoot me a message if anyone is looking for an offer
    ^^^^ good dude to do a deal with - straightforward transaction - no issues whatsoever ^^^^
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinLA13 View Post
    ^^^^ good dude to do a deal with - straightforward transaction - no issues whatsoever ^^^^
    Thank you!! You made it easy to make the deal happen I appreciate everything.

Wish I had seen your post before the dealer picked it up yesterday. Will have a new Merc on it by Tuesday or Wednesday next week. I'm wondering if Yamaha had a major problem with those year SHOs and don't want to do a mass recall.

15. Member
    Wish I had seen your post before the dealer picked it up yesterday. Will have a new Merc on it by Tuesday or Wednesday next week. I'm wondering if Yamaha had a major problem with those year SHOs and don't want to do a mass recall.
    Dang it’s all good I’m in the middle of rebuilding the one I got from BassinLa13 once it’s done I’ll be hunting for another a little harder.