1994 Champion 204 DCX Dual Console Restore Update

Posted a few months ago about buying my first Champion and said I would post pictures. Well, college decided to start kicking my butt around finals and I never had the chance to. Took the winter break to install a Helix 12 on the dash, Helix 10 on the front, and a Ultrex. I must say, all the electronics fit a lot better than they did on my 17 foot Xpress. Now I am back at work for this semester in good ole Eufaula (hint, hint: I work in the fishing industry and a lot of you run our products on your boats and I am a programmer) and still haven't gotten the boat to where I want it. Have a derby on Toledo Bend in a week and a half and have a few last minute questions that I can't find the answers to.

1) Has anyone replaced the locks in the compartment lids? If so, is there a link to find locks like the originals?

2) Does anyone know where in the world the VIN/serial number on a Champion trailer is?? It's a galvanized, unpainted trailer and I can not find that stupid number anywhere and my insurance keeps bugging me for it.

3) When I got the boat, I had to remount the mounts for the shocks on the bottom side of the rod locker lids. However, I noticed that when the factory shocks are fully extended the lid is perpendicular to the deck and not touching the gunnel. Has anyone tried replacing them with a slightly longer shock to keep them pushed up against the gunnel so there is a slight pressure on them when opened all the way?

4) Has anyone replaced the factory deck extension in a 94 204? I despise the way the lid is and have it setup like a day use box currently.

I may have missed other posts that would have answered these questions, my browser doesn't like this website for some reason (stupid corporate IT policies). First fish out of the Champion was a 4 pound largemouth on a buzzbait on Smith lake in 30 degree weather... I can't escape my tin can days lol.

Update on top speed for those who care: Fully loaded with 2 people's tournament gear, both gas tanks full, and livewells filled 3/4 full I can run about 65 GPS. Ordering a new 3 blade soon to try. Not sure I want to give up the hole shot or handling of the 4 blade; its like driving a luxury sports car!!
    Last edited by blayde064; 01-09-2020 at 06:54 AM.

2. Member
    The vin# should be on a label on the tongue structure. If it is gone you should be able to get a replacement vin#. Contact your local department of motor vehicles or drivers license facility. They should be able to help you. Does the trailer have a license plate? The vin# may be on that registration.

3. Member
    I couldn't find it. And no, it does not have a tag. I'll try the DMV.