Thread: LOZ Snagging

LOZ Snagging

Looking to try my hand at snagging for spoon bill. Hoping there are some tips, tricks, spots, or tackle suggestions here. I am very familiar with the lake so feel free to help me find some places to start.
    1984 Ranger 395V 1998 Mariner 225 Mag EFI

"A bad day of fishing, is always better then a good day at work"

2. Member
    Below the Dam, I believe you have to be past the 65 Highway bridge. Seen some nice ones from somewhere down there.

3. Member
    While I have not personally gone "snagging" I've seem others do it.
    1. heavy rods
    2. heavy line
    3. large weighted treble hooks
    4. strong back, arms, shoulders, you get the idea....

I have seen, in the past, a good number of boats in the upper Nianguas "enjoyinf" this sport.

Good luck!

A lot of guys run divers these days. If you don’t want to mess with divers, use at least 16 or more ounces of weight. I like to place my first hook 1-2’ above the weight and the second 5-6’ above that. Some of my favorite stretches are the 63-65mm, 60-61 and 54-55m. Typically I start out on the este of the channel and then work out in to the channel and then up on to the flats. If you have side imaging, you should be able to figure out pretty quickly where they are relating. They like to suspend a lot around 20-25’. The divers really shine when the fish are suspended as you can better control your hook depth.

As for tackle, I use 7-8’ heavy action rods, Okuma Convector Linecounter reels and 100# power pro with a leader of 80-130# dacron. The dacron isn’t needed if you are yanking but it does help with random
    break offs when pulling divers.

Here is a video I made of us fishing the Snagmasters tourney on LoZ last April.
    Last edited by st041986; 01-10-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

5. Member
    Snaggers flock to Warsaw. That end of the lake is crazy with boats during the season.

6. Member
    Have a good back it you have a problem you don't know about it will show you where it is