looking at a 1994 20XD

Anything I should be aware of or look for when inspecting it?
    Thanks

2. Member
    I bought a 1993 20XD back in October. I would check the following:
    Transom cracks, it will have them and hopefully they are only stress cracks in the gel coat.
    Engine compression and leak down if a test drive can't be done. I would still do this even with a test drive.
    Voltage regulator and stator for burns and discolored wires/connectors.
    Wiring for substandard custom modifications and I would look in both the rear compartment and under the dash.
    Hydraulic steering for loose fittings, mine could be moved by hand.
    Latches for damage and function. Mine has the rectangle latches that break very easy and some that are very hard to latch. Without functioning latches on the live well lids they can blow off on the interstate.
    Seats for where the latches poked through. Both my driver and passenger seats have a spot where the latch has worn through.
    Jackplate for damage and function. Mine had a broken roll pin.
    Water pressure gauge for function. If it doesn't work, how did the previous owner know they had water pressure?
    Check the neutral safety switch to see if it has been disconnected. Some have been.
    Soft spots in the floor.
    Trolling motor for function and batteries hooked up correctly. It likely originally came with a 12 or 12/24v system.
    The trailer probably has rust, you need to find out where and how bad it is.
    Condition of the running pad for cuts, gouges, or a hook.
    Look at where the rear pedestal seat inserts into the rear deck, it may have become oblong.
    Function of the bilge pump and live well pumps. The gas tank has to come out to service these.
    Condition of the foam in the center rod locker. Mine has a big chunk that has detached from the deck.
    Lower unit for water in the oil. I had to replace the seals in mine.
    If it has a Sport Master lower unit I think it would be worth it to pull the prop and look at the condition of the prop shaft because they can rust really bad.
    Try to get a parts diagram for the engine and compare that to what you see under the cowling. If parts are missing, find out why.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

3. Member
    eh, thanks for the quick reply. i am looking for specific issues with the hull itself. i always rewire and rerig. it has a motor on it now but will by less motor

You’re looking at a Bullet, don’t buy “less” . Alway same or bigger on the motor!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

5. Member
    Bigger is FASTER!!

6. Member
    I think he meant he is buying hull & trailer only.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    I think he meant he is buying hull & trailer only.
    I believe you’re right. Read it wrong

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

8. Member
    Don’t put no 3.0 liter on back either. Make sure transom is solid. I’ve seen a ton of early to mid 90s with bad transom and floors