Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 200EFI issues when warm

I have 2001 200 EFI (L) 0T273984 that will run perfect for my first few runs of the day, but will go to hell once it sets for 15-20 mins while I fish. When I got to take off the engine will bog and I will get intermittent beeping like the beeping sound when you turn the key on (no pattern to the beeps). Once it starts I cannot get it above 12-1300 RPMs and it will either run rough at idle or die out all together. I can always get it started again though. Once the boat sets for a few hours and the motor cools completely down it will run fine again and start the whole process all over again.

the strangest part of it this all is that I finally had a mechanic look at it after I replaced plugs, filters, fuel lines, checked tank vents, cleaned VST, tested for water in gas, and it ran perfect for him during a water test. He had a fuel pressure gauge on to monitor I was getting the right pressure, so the top cover was off the motor. Which leads me to believe this is some sort of heat soak issue with the electronics, being we could not replicate with everything getting full air cooling. I wanted to check here to see if you guys had any input or insight prior to throwing cash at the motor. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Last edited by Shane_zuk; 01-10-2020 at 04:57 AM.

2. Member
    Sorry realized I put it in the wrong section, and I can’t figure out how to move it.

3. Member
    The mods can move the thread for you, but it would be good if you could add your serial number as it’s required, allows the most accurate response. One thing that will be mentioned is that you should pump the primer bulb before each start, especially true when it’s warm. Heat soak can cause the fuel to vaporize and create bubbles in the fuel system. Not sure if that problem would cause an alarm though. I would also check your battery, a low voltage issue could cause similar problems too.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    Had an Johnson that acted similar it was the stator.

5. Member
    need ser number for info as to smartcraft mtr ??????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Serial number is 0T273984. Bulb stays hard and I had no change after I just swapped it. Voltage on battery is good, and the current draw is still good because I can run 2 finders and timed live well all day and voltage on my finder read out never goes below 11.5.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Had an Johnson that acted similar it was the stator.
    I really think this will be the fix, just want to see what others think before I drop 600-800 on chasing electric components.

8. Member
    Go buy a Mercury OEM service manual, it has the testing procedures for the stator and all other electrical components. The money spent on the manual will save you many times that on unnecessary parts. Your local dealer can order one for you with the serial number.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Go buy a Mercury OEM service manual, it has the testing procedures for the stator and all other electrical components. The money spent on the manual will save you many times that on unnecessary parts. Your local dealer can order one for you with the serial number.
    Problem is it will probably test good when it's not failing. It took me a while to get the shop to properly test and repair my motor.

10. Member
    Just for the sake of anyone else who may have this issue, I just installed a CDI stator and Trigger, will update if it still has the issue.

11. Member
    Would be a true steady tone if you had a overheat issue. A faulty stator will not sound any alarm tone at all. Tho it could be a stator charge coil getting hot and shorting etc. would be the reason for the bogg.

12. Member
    Ok stator and trigger did nothing other than I replaced an almost 20 year old part set. Still happening so i thought maybe a fuel pickup issue went through and replaced all lines from tank to motor to include bulb, rebuilt mech pump, cleaned VST and replaced electric pump because I found shaving on the magnets, and still no joy. So I am thinking maybe it is a gas tank vent issue, so run an aux tank on the deck removing all lines and tanks from the equation and still have the problem. come home frustrated this afternoon, hook it to the hose and idle it while in the direct south ga sun light. Cuts off a few times but fires back up, so I start jiggling every damn wire and connector on the thing cause now I know it is 100% an electrical issue. I am almost done checking them all when I thump the top pf a module with my knuckle and the damn thing beeps. I break out the ol trusty set of channel locks and tap the top of the Timing Protection module 857169-A2 and it beeps with every tap, and causes the VST pump to surge. I am happy I found something finally after months of screwing with this motor.

Have it scanned first thing
    Test the Intake air temp sensor cold and hot
    Sweep test the TPS sensor after a hot soak
    Remove lower unit and inspect the Idle relief ports or just pull the power head and clean them if it has never been done
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    that module can give you fits ,you've likely found problem,
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

15. Member
    I sure hope this is it, part comes in today and I hope to get it out tomorrow to test.

16. Member
    Ok got the CDI replacement and it won’t fire just turns over. I threw the old TCM on fires right up, I was doing a quick hit in the garage so I will pull it out tomorrow and put muffs on. After I threw the old one on to see if it was the new TCM I switched back and it ran for 2 seconds on the new one and died. question is do I need to reset timing when changing this thing out?

17. Member
    no sir, not had good luck either with those modules

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    no sir, not had good luck either with those modules
    You mean CDI branded ones, or just the module it’s self?

19. Member
    CDI

20. Member
    Yeah I think I got a dead one, plugged the old one back in and I get the beep when I turn the key to on, with the CDI in it does nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast