2nd Merc 200, 2nd compressor issue

Whats the deal with Merc and their air compressors? Had a 99 DFI Opti 200hp that lost the ability to get on plane, found out the compressor was bad. New compressor and big $$ later the motor blew. Now have a 2011 ProXs 200hp that developed a squeek that I thought was the alt belt or pulley but just found out the compressor is going out and that is the squeek I am hearing! My assumption is that I had better spend the 1K and replace it before it fully goes and I end up with another blown motor. I see where once there is an issue you have to do the entire fuel rail and injectors also. Is this accurate? Or will just replacing the compressor be okay? These motors are KILLING ME!

This time have the intire fuel/rails cleaned and inspected and be sure thermostat , cooling system are in good shape as well as clean the strainer, may help avoid a repeat powerhead failure
    Don at European Marine can set you up for inspecting fuel rail
    Last edited by lpugh; 01-09-2020 at 05:29 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ryan- if you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

There are a number of reasons for compressors to fail- they operate under some pretty harsh conditions day in, and day out. And then they sit unused for a while, only to roar back into service again.

Above info is strongly recommended- as metallic debris is almost always passed into the system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Compressor went out on 225 I once had. The dealer did not clean the fuel system after the new compressor was installed and 1 trip to the lake later the 225 was no longer.. Pay em now or pay em more later.