Ranger RT 188 W/ Power Poles HELP!

I want to get 2 power poles for my new 2019 RT188. I was told there is no place to mount the pumps? Does ANYONE here have power poles and if so, where did the mount the pumps? I dont want MK Talons. I have a Z Lock jackplate with brackets for the power poles. Let me know.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

2. Member
    One of rear storage compartments are where I have seen them mounted. I am sure someone will post a pic soon.

3. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuhuna View Post
    One of rear storage compartments are where I have seen them mounted. I am sure someone will post a pic soon.
    Thanks... been told that but waiting to talk with a Ranger rep who can tell me if it will stop the warranty if I install 2 on a J/P.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

4. Banned
    Hey got a 2018 power pole on setback plate pump is in back by battery. My boat is rt 188 not 188p.

5. Member
    Don't know how true this is but when I bought mine was told by dealer hull warranty would only cover 1 power pole and had to be installed at Ranger. I chose not to have it installed. If I can't have 2 I don't want 1. Now the new 188 p can handle 2
    Skip Bogert-- Kempton, Pa
    2019 Ranger Rt 188 ( fusion )-115 Pro XS- MK ultrex

6. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    I want to get 2 power poles for my new 2019 RT188. I was told there is no place to mount the pumps? Does ANYONE here have power poles and if so, where did the mount the pumps? I dont want MK Talons. I have a Z Lock jackplate with brackets for the power poles. Let me know.
    Just out of curiosity, does your Ulterra have Spot Lock? If so, do you still need PPs with the Spot Lock feature? I don't yet have either, but envision upgrading to an Ultrex at some point in the future...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does your Ulterra have Spot Lock? If so, do you still need PPs with the Spot Lock feature? I don't yet have either, but envision upgrading to an Ultrex at some point in the future...
    P.P. or Talons are not equivalent to, replacement for, substitution for Spot Lock. Apples and Oranges. Each have their own special application. I have both and each piece of equipment are NOT interchangeable. Just the other day I used both Spot Lock and then used the Talons. Incoming tide Spot Lock positioned my boat in the wrong direction when fishing some structure. But the Talons held me just fine and in the correct position.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

8. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    P.P. or Talons are not equivalent to, replacement for, substitution for Spot Lock. Apples and Oranges. Each have their own special application. I have both and each piece of equipment are NOT interchangeable. Just the other day I used both Spot Lock and then used the Talons. Incoming tide Spot Lock positioned my boat in the wrong direction when fishing some structure. But the Talons held me just fine and in the correct position.
    So, how does Spot Lock or an Ulterx perform on our 198's as far as holding position / heading with wind and / or current? For example, can a position / heading be held with a cross wind?
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

9. Member
    Spot lock turns the boat into the wind or into the current to hold the position.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    So, how does Spot Lock or an Ulterx perform on our 198's as far as holding position / heading with wind and / or current? For example, can a position / heading be held with a cross wind?
    Tide was coming in. Structure was "Down Tide" or "Behind me". So using the Spot Lock, I had to cast over the stern of the boat. If I got a fish on, too many opportunities for the fish cut me off. Also in shallow water conditions, I do not need the noise from the trolling motor.
    In a current or deep water, yes Spot Lock. In shallow water, wind current, Talons. Two totally different pieces of equipment. One cannot replace the other.
    New Bern Striper 01102020 02.jpg
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

sorry for the double post. Fat fingers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mechanic Bob; 01-14-2020 at 08:20 AM. Reason: sorry double post
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Quote Originally Posted by The Liquid Therapist View Post
    Don't know how true this is but when I bought mine was told by dealer hull warranty would only cover 1 power pole and had to be installed at Ranger. I chose not to have it installed. If I can't have 2 I don't want 1. Now the new 188 p can handle 2
    It is true. I was recently researching a 188 (non “P” version). It is in the fine print and does void the hull warranty.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Member
    I've fished a couple of glass boats with Ultrex and poles. When using both in shallow water you virtually turn your boat into a floating dock. Using Ultrex turns the nose of the boat into the wind. The poles stop the rear from pivoting.

14. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    <br>Tide was coming in. Structure was "Down Tide" or "Behind me". So using the Spot Lock, I had to cast over the stern of the boat. If I got a fish on, too many opportunities for the fish cut me off. Also in shallow water conditions, I do not need the noise from the trolling motor. <br>In a current or deep water, yes Spot Lock. In shallow water, wind current, Talons. Two totally different pieces of equipment. One cannot replace the other.

New Bern Striper 01102020 02.jpg
    Yeah, that is what I thought, and I believed you the first time....

Nice Striper!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    well said and so true..

16. Member
    Hey Pokie, did you ever hear back from Ranger about this ? Just curious to see what the said, cause my boat is there for warranty work and if is possible without voiding the hull warranty I might consider having them do it while it's there.

17. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Liquid Therapist View Post
    Hey Pokie, did you ever hear back from Ranger about this ? Just curious to see what the said, cause my boat is there for warranty work and if is possible without voiding the hull warranty I might consider having them do it while it's there.
    I heard back from my Dealer. Only one Power Pole is allowed on a Jack Plate. You will have to give up some space somewhere to mount the pumps. My dealer ( Robbins Marine ) suggested I got with a Talon.
    I scrapped the entire idea completely as I have a Ulterra with anchor....I'll use that and save $3800 on ANY shallow water anchor.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

18. Member
    Sounds like you made the same conclusion as I did

19. Member
    If I had it to do over again I would have opted for two Micro anchors and a TM with an anchor option. Save some bucks, save the warranty and have more versatility.