Question for hooking up a Merc Monitor trim gauge to a new 250 XS 4 stroke

250 Pro XS 4 stroke SN: 2B736348 on a TR-21X Triton, 26* Tempest + prop

Don, I purchased this Level 1 Mercmonitor from you last year and recently upgraded to a new 4 stroke 250XS. Having an issue with the trim gauge. My sending unit that came on the new motor is a three wire unit so I am assuming it is a digital sending unit? My question is where does this connect into the merc monitor harness or do I need some sort of special cable to get the trim function on the mercmonitor to work? The sending unit is currently connected to the Brown/White wire that goes to the analog gauge in the boat dash, and while it works, it is not reading correctly, and I'd rather have the one in the mercmonitor working anyway.

What do I need to do to get the trim working on the mercmonitor?

Thanks for your help....

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Trim sensor is digital on this engine, it sends it's signal to the Engine's PCM. The MercMonitor gets it's info from the PCM. Nothing to wire other than installing the MercMontior properly.

Are you using a blue data cable or a 14-pin keyswitch harness w/Junction Box (important question)?

Did you Reset your MercMonitor to Factory Defaults so that it can recognize that you have a 4S engine model attached?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I got it working. Figured out it was not turned on at the gauge. Turned it on and it works now. Duh!

Thanks for the advice.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Great!

Did you determine which connection method you are using (common mistake area- very good reason for the question)...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Great!

Did you determine which connection method you are using (common mistake area- very good reason for the question)...
    Yes, I have the blue data cable installed. I did reset to factory defaults and calibrated the trim and everything seems to be working now like it should. Thanks for the help!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Blue data cable requires modification when using with a V6/V8 Fourstroke (it is missing a required Terminating Resistor).

Do you know if the engine-end of the blue cable was modified before the cable was installed?

7. Member
    Don, I'm not sure what my installing dealer may or may not have installed. With the Optimax engine I didn't use the digital trim function so I'm sure the terminating resister was not installed unless it came with the mercmonitor when I purchased it from you.

As mentioned, the trim on the mercmonitor appears to be working properly now. Would it work without the terminating resister?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The problem stems from the need for TWO resistors at the engine end (as were in the original resistor that came on the engine). The blue data cable contains only ONE resistor at the engine end (on Can-P). It is relatively simple to rectify this (by simply installing a terminating resistor out of the original terminating "cap" into the blue data cable, on the same pin locations).

Pin locations are critical (the blue and white wires, CAN-P) already have a resistor installed between the wires themselves.