Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Over under shotguns

I've always wanted a nice semi fancy over under shotgun. I've got close to $1000 in Cabelas money to spend on it so I am probably looking at something that they offer. I looks like I am looking at one of the following Browning Citori or Cynergy, or the Beretta silver pigeon. It will probably just be used at the gun range for shooting some five stand or trap etc. Might take it dove hunting. Anyone have any suggestions for what they like or dislike about any of them?

2. Member
    It does not matter which gun you pick out. If it does not fit you, it will be a waste of money. Go shoulder several and see where your natural POI will be. I also would suggest that if you could go to a clay range and shoot several guns that friends or fellow shooters have. I used to shoot skeet weekly and have had high end guns like Kreighoff, Beretta and lower end Brownings. FWIW, I shot my best with the Browning.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

3. Member
    What drake said, gun fit makes a huge difference not only in hitting your target but also in felt/perceived recoil. Out of the box Browning fits me best but I still have to shave the comb and shorten the LOP. Even my high end Caesar Guerini trap gun with all the adjustable settings I still went to a fitter to make a few more tweaks after I got it setup the best I could. Buy what you like and then spend the $$ and have a session with a fitter to tweak it.

4. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My oldest son and I have the brownings, my youngest son the silver pigeon. All are solid guns. I also have a bt-99+ trap. Sweet trap gun.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Disregard
    Last edited by Boatseller; 01-08-2020 at 12:42 PM.

6. Member
    I’ve had a Browning Citori for a few years, kind of an impulse buy when I decided I wanted another gun. Love the quality and the weapon but like others have said, it has to fit YOU, I cannot hit anything with it with any regularity. I have a Ruger Red Label that’s been my go to and a Sile(picked up used very cheap) that probably fits me best.
    Lots of great guns out there, just make sure they fit you.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

7. Member
    I've always been partial to the slim feel and balance of the Beretta doubles.

You can't go wrong with either Beretta or Browning.

I would definitely try a Ruger Red Label for fit. I actually ended up with a nice Calvary Arms 12Ga. It has been a real nice gun for me. But as was said, It has to fit. Mine fits so I do well with it. Nice light gun and comes with several choke tubes.
    https://www.americantactical.us/4628/detail.html

9. Member
    I would love to own a Browning Citori Gran Lightning 0/u chambered in 16 gauge.

10. Member
    For clay targets it’s worth spending the money to get a good gun, and I would include Browning and Beretta in that group because they have replaceable parts that if you shoot targets a lot will wear out. Fit would be my biggest consideration, Browning and Beretta have always fit very differently to me, I find Beretta fits me far better out of the box. My own preference would be to spend a little bit more and get a dedicated target gun from one of those two makers , 32 inch tubes and a higher stock, your mileage may vary there!

11. Member
    I like my Citori Upland Special with the Schnabel forearm. Quick to mount so I can miss with the best of them! I've used my dad's Red Label and just don't care for it. It feels clunky to me. But then again, he doesn't care for the Citori so you gotta get the one that suits you.

Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to go get hands on them, just wanted to know if any of them had features that were significantly better than others or where better built.

13. Member
    I agree 100% with the guys that say fit is the most important thing! I really like the browning Citori white lightings, and the berreta 686’s, but definitely “try on “ a benelli 828u. It’s my new favorite.
    Enjoy! shopping for the gun is almost as much fun as shooting it

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    I would love to own a Browning Citori Gran Lightning 0/u chambered in 16 gauge.
    I have a few Citori 16ga guns including the Gran Lightning. It is a great one on pheasant

15. Member
    Look at the Weatherby Orion. Handles real well and the price point is nice n

16. Member
    Dove hunting-Bearetta 28 gauge silver pigeon you will love. I have the 20. Bought the xplorer 400 in 28 gauge and it is my favorite dove gun. Hammers doves even at distance. Feels like a pop gun. 20 o/u handles 3 inch shells and hammers pheasants.
    i have a cynergy camo in 12 gauge that handles 3 1/2. Short overall gun compared to my Benelli SBE. It is my “bad weather gun” for extreme cold or hunting rivers with blowing sand-Red River-where auto’s May have issues. Shot it last week in a snow storm and it was great. Not too heavy. But it is a workin gun not a purdy gun

17. Member
    I have 6 Browning's and have owned 3 Beretta's and all were excellent. I have a buddy who can't shoot a Browning and another that can't shoot a Beretta, so as has been mentioned keep shouldering a few until you find one that fits. When you grab a fine double that fits it should feel like you just embraced a fine woman for the first time.....and you will smile accordingly.
    5 Short of a limit

As stated, it needs to fit you. The guns you mention are all of good quality. So, pick the one that feels the best and you found most interesting and you think would be more fun to shoot

Personally, I like the Silver Pidgeon. It fits me. Might not fit you. For a clays gun I’d get the Sporting 1 model with 32” inch barrels.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

19. Member
    franchi instinct sl

20. Member
    Sounds like my Citori, does yours have the straight english stock without the pistol grip. Love mine shoots right where I am looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I like my Citori Upland Specith the Schnabel forearm. Quick to mount so I can miss with the best of them! I've used my dad's Red Label and just don't care for it. It feels clunky to me. But then again, he doesn't care for the Citori so you gotta get the one that suits you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast