Break in oil replacement

Curious if a guy should change his oil and filter sooner than normal after the break in procedure? Or is it OK to go through the first season with the same fluids? Same question concerning the lower unit gear lube? I don’t mind doing it if it’s something that helps, but I don’t want to do it if it’s not necessary. thx

2. Member
    20 hr service ( oil & gear case) is recommended “ but not required’ 100hr is the 1st required service .....

3. Member
    Your gonna get a lot of different recommendations here probably. I would say just do what you think is best. Sometimes a piece of mind can be a great thing. I did mine at 20 hrs.

Changing the oil is so easy on the new 4 strokes. Just do it at 20 hours an go fishing.

2018 Phoenix 921
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro xs
    Hotrod

If it is not required I would still do after 20 hours. Mechanically all your gears in the lower unit and the internal engine components are seating, breaking in metal to metal, aluminum to metal this will cause very small particles to be suspended in the oil more so in the lower unit because it has no filter so changing is best rather then have these present all season. It is also the most likely time if there was an engine assembly issue that a failure could occur so changing fluids now leaves no question later about owners maintenance responsibility and if your going to be doing routine maintenance yourself you start to get familiar with your engine and giving it a visual inspection. As stated above after break-in and your doing 5800 rpm piece of mind is a good thing to have.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

6. Member
    Is there any negative impact on the factory warranty if you change your own oil and LU oil for 20, 100 and beyond hour services?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman920 View Post
    20 hr service ( oil & gear case) is recommended “ but not required’ 100hr is the 1st required service .....
    ^^^ Correct.

Consider it as an investment in the longevity of your engine (At 3 Months or 20 hours).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor