Low water pick-up problem

2012 E-tech 225 DHLAA . I’m running a trophy plus prop with two plugs and the insert to fit thee-tech. I’ve been having a problem withthe low water pick-ups picking up trash and plugging up the tube that runs fromthe water manifold to the mid-section to cool the prop. I’ve burned up about ten plugs and melted twoprop inserts causing the prop to spin out. The lake I fish has a lot of trash (logs and sticks) particularly in thespring and you can’t miss everything. I’mwondering if I can plug up the low water pick-ups and still have enough waterpressure. Has anyone else had thisproblem?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can change them to a smaller size, check the BRP parts site for your options. I'd sure hate for you to burn up your motor by lack of water pressure.

3. Member
    Thanks Championman but the ones I’m talking about are thesix holes built into the nose cone. I’ve already changed out the ones on theside of the lower unit to the smaller ones.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Correct me if I'm wrong.....trash plugging them is causing problems....intentional plugging isn't??

5. Member
    The problem isn’t the low water pickups getting plugged upits debris getting sucked up through them and then plugging up the line thatgoes from the water manifold to the mid-section to cool the exhaust. I never had this problem with BRP ficht 225that I owned for eight years and used on the same lake that didn’t have the lowwater pickups. I don’t know any other way to elevate the problem. I can’t be the only one that has had thisproblem. Thanks in advance for anyadvice you can give me.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Where you fishing?? May try installing a mesh screen over the LWP and see if that works. Try some Duct tape and the screen.

Steve,
    You didn't mention any over heat problems which seems likely you would have if so much debris is getting in. You did mention you are burning up hub kits which allowed the prop to spin out.
    I think you may be mis-diagnosing your problem. My guess is that you are using the Merc hub kits, correct? If so they have been proven by me and many others on this board that they cause issues. They squash when you tighten down the prop nut to the point that you cannot keep the prop tight. Mercury make another add on part which is cone shaped and supposed to help but using it on an Evinrude you will need to modify the hole.
    Instead of using the Merc hub kit with the extra piece, just get a Michigan Wheel #200 hub kit and you won't have those issues any more. Check your prop shaft as the Merc hub kits allowed thrust washers to spin and create so much heat that they made a weak groove in the prop shaft. Many a guys have had the prop shaft break off at this point while running down the lake. Hopefully your prop shaft is not damaged to that point right now.
    Good luck
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

8. Member

tdt91. Thank you for the information about the mercury hubkits. I was not aware of that and certainly don’t want the additional damage itcould cause. I’ll try the Michiganwheel # 200 hub kit but every time I burnt up vent plugs and hub kits theexhaust cooling hose was plugged with debris. I guess it could be a combination of the two causing it.

9. Member
    Championman. I’mfishing West Point Lake in Ga. Lots ofdebris coming down the Chattahoochee River particularly in the spring. I think I’ll try taping over the holes andkeep an eye on the water pressure and see how it does. Thanks.