Ruger American bolt action rifle

Does anyone have any experience with the ruger American series of bolt action rifles? Looking at one in a 308 Winchester.

It's a cheap, entry level rifle. It will get the job done.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

I have a 22 mag and 300 black out, my brother has a 6.5 go wild. All three shoot good, I wouldn't be afraid of buying another.

I have one in 450 bushmaster and I love it.

Been looking at one for a deer rifle. For the money they seem to be popular. There was a thread on here last year that had some info on them. I’ve seen them at Rural King for 399.00 before. Buds has them at 419.00 I think
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

6. Banned
    I have 2. One in a 7mm-08 and another in a 270. They are my favorite guns and I have plenty. The 7mm-08 is a compact and is perfect for a shooting out of a box stand. the 270 is the normal size. Both will shot 1/2" groups with handloads.

7. Member
    Bought a Ruger American 270 in 2012 for hog hunting. Saved a little on the shooter and put a very nice zeiss scope on it. Still one of my favorite guns I have for hunting or target shooting. Well made at a good price. I use it on one trip every year and spend half dozen days at the range playing every summer.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

I have a left-hand in 6.5 Creedmoor. Excellent value for the money, and shoots well under MOA with Hornady factory ammo.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

9. Member
    Have the American Predator in .223. Has a threaded barrel so I went ahead a put on a muzzle brake. Shoots better than I can shoot it.

10. Member
    I’ve had one since 2013 in .270 win and use it for all my rifle hunts which is several per year as I take it deer, hog, and coyote hunting. I paired it with a Nikon as the scope was on sale and never had a single issue. Absolutely love the way the gun shoots. It’s light but recoil is not an issue at all. You will love it.

11. Member
    Thanks guys, looking at one for a tree stand gun so I don’t have to tote my bull barrel 280 around. Academy has them around here for $379-$419. Probably pick one up here soon.

12. Member
    Those are economy guns that lack the refinement of the higher quality but more expensive models. I am sure they will serve as a hunting rifle just fine and everything ruger makes is good and serviceable.

Seems like everyone these days has given up on leverguns for starting out and has migrated to rifles like these as they sell a ton of them.

13. Member
    I actually picked up a 30-30 lever action last year and planned to deer hunt some with it this year but most of the hunting we did this year offered shots out to 350 yds. I have a Remington 700 7mm-08 that I could carry but I just hate to beat the wood stock up on it carrying it in a climbing stand.

My daughter has a Ruger American Compact in .308 and it’s a shooter. My friend has a regular size one in 7mm/08 and it’s a shooter also. Good shooting guns no doubt.

15. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Looking at getting my daughter one with the pink stock for her 7th birthday. Seem ok to me
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Seems like everyone these days has given up on leverguns for starting out and has migrated to rifles like these as they sell a ton of them.
    A new Marlin 336 is $450+ and is not going to be a good choice for a western rifle or a Texas sendero rifle. You can buy one of the “economy” bolt rifles in a variety of calibers that will enable you to hunt anywhere in the country (and most places around the world). There are so many good quality, inexpensive rifles out there now it is astounding. Great time to be a hunter.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    A new Marlin 336 is $450+ and is not going to be a good choice for a western rifle or a Texas sendero rifle. You can buy one of the “economy” bolt rifles in a variety of calibers that will enable you to hunt anywhere in the country (and most places around the world). There are so many good quality, inexpensive rifles out there now it is astounding. Great time to be a hunter.

You can get the trigger pull down below 3# with a MCARBO spring kit.

19. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    I have one in 450 BM and it shoots very well. I am not a fan of the machine marks left on the bolt, or the zip sound it makes (kind of like corduroys sound when walking) when cycling it, but it is a good rifle for the money.

It's very light and well balanced IMO.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

I got my squaw one in a .308 youth rifle and and you don't want her shooting at ya. We have been very pleased.