Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Baitcasting reel for jigging rod?

Im seeing more and more people using a casting reel on their jigging rod. Im also seeing more and more dedicated crappie rod companys come out with a baitcasting style rig. Who uses one? I recently picked up a new 10 ft Kevin rogers jigging rod and needing a new reel. Trying to figure out what I want to use.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

I use left hand baitcasters with a flipping switch so I can operate the reel with one hand, and control the livescope transducer with the other.

I began with an Abu Silvermax which has a "rocket clutch...very similar to a flipping switch, but a separate button on the case.

http://www.abugarcia.com/abugarcia-r...l/1373564.html

I now use a Quantum Accurist PT tuned baitcaster with a traditional flipping switch. Very smooth reel.

Both reels are currently available through Amazon.

If you only fish the depth of the rod's length, then any of the inexpensive reels work. Right now, I'm fishing anywhere from 20' to 35' deep.
    Last edited by Gamblinman; 01-07-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I've been trying it out a little on a 10ft Jenko KR rod. Nice to be able to operate one handed. And for a bass guy, the hookset feels more natural.

I would much rather use a spinning reel, but with livescope, long rods, limp braided line and a spinning reel, you're constantly fighting loose line and/or line wrapped around your tip. I've gone to Berkley fused on my long rods simply because of how stiff it is. It almost eliminates line wrapped at the tip.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."