Passenger console loose

I tried doing a search on this but I feel like the search feature on here isn't awesome...or I don't know what I'm doing...anyway, my 921 console is loose. Haven't been in the boat for a couple months (I know!) and haven't called the dealer yet...anyway, I've heard from a couple others this is an issue--how widespread is it and what's the fix? To me, it actually looks like the female bracket on the side wall of the boat that holds the console metal arm/lever is mounted at the wrong level or the lever is is loose/extended to far..??. Any advise ahead of calling the dealer/factory
    Steve

2. Member
    They recommend pulling it out and putting Vaseline in the rubber grommets to keep it from drying out or causing excessive wear. I have had mine come completely out a couple times while running. Does it look like it is sitting flush up against the carpet and getting seated properly into the grommets?

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by duncankopprichardson View Post
    They recommend pulling it out and putting Vaseline in the rubber grommets to keep it from drying out or causing excessive wear. I have had mine come completely out a couple times while running. Does it look like it is sitting flush up against the carpet and getting seated properly into the grommets?
    Its not on the “front” of the console. It’s an issue with the left side and the mount on the side wall and the latch/mechanical arm that turns into it. I think it s a bad Perko or bad mount. Trying to figure out which. The console actually moves up and down. (And before anyone else says it, I know taking it out would be the solution)
    Steve

4. Member
    You might be able to reach under the left side and adjust the latch mount tighter by adjusting the lock nuts on the latch post
    Risen From The Ashes!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix919 View Post
    You might be able to reach under the left side and adjust the latch mount tighter by adjusting the lock nuts on the latch post
    +1

6. Member
    I had the same problem with mine, first the latch was loose and the rod box carpet was to thick in the area in front of the consul the dealer figured that one out, I have to open the rod box and then put it in, no problems since
    SAL 544
    13.11 lbs
    Lake Fork TX
    2/19/13

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL man View Post
    I had the same problem with mine, first the latch was loose and the rod box carpet was to thick in the area in front of the consul the dealer figured that one out, I have to open the rod box and then put it in, no problems since
    THat was how they showed me to put mine in...
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

If the sockets are not seated correctly the latch will not be located properly to secure it. As mentioned, lube the sockets and open your rod box.

I had to have the screws that hold the grommets in the console tightened. I also tightened the bottom nut on the post of the latch which added some needed pressure on the bar.

10. Member
    So opening the rod box will allow the console to go further forward so that it will seat properly? I love the second console and never thought I would, but it being loose annoys the crap out of me.
    2012 Phoenix 721/250 Pro XS

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Love the second console but when i took mine out, loved it even more............i put it back once for a trip and that was it.....now if the wife comes with me then i''ll offer to put it back in at that time but until then, its out.......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Love the second console but when i took mine out, loved it even more............i put it back once for a trip and that was it.....now if the wife comes with me then i''ll offer to put it back in at that time but until then, its out.......
    Didn't have one on my first 721 and thought I loved it. Much prefer having it. But that's just me.
    2012 Phoenix 721/250 Pro XS

13. Member
    Mine was a little loose. Checked the latch that locks it down and the nuts had backed off a little. Tightened them down and the console and has remained so for 3 years. was tight

14. Member
    Phoenix has a crappy design for holding the second console in place snug.

15. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1206 View Post
    Its not on the “front” of the console. It’s an issue with the left side and the mount on the side wall and the latch/mechanical arm that turns into it. I think it s a bad Perko or bad mount. Trying to figure out which. The console actually moves up and down. (And before anyone else says it, I know taking it out would be the solution)
    I've been fooled by mine. I'd swear the console is fully engaged with the grommets, only to find it's not and the latch won't line up. If it's a little cool the grommets get hard and are tough to push into.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stein3411 View Post
    Phoenix has a crappy design for holding the second console in place snug.
    I actually think The removable console is amazing. Really tight and snug. No issues with mine.
    Risen From The Ashes!!

17. Member
    So When I got mine the hardware was already mounted. The console did not seat completely in the latch due to the hardware being mounted too far forward by about 1/2 inch. That is why they suggest installing the console and hardware at same time. Mine was ordered just after I bought the boat. I took a saw and increased the notch size slightly and then the console would seat flush. Then I adjusted the nut on the lock so it would be harder to lock forcing the console down. Made a huge difference. Mine barely moves now.