Swivel Pin/Yoke replacement

300XS Serial# 1E050284 HD swivel bracket/single ram approx 170 hours.
    I thought I had a bad lower swivel bushing but upon disassembly it turns out the swivel pin and yoke are badly worn. All the other bushings in the clamp/swivel assembly are tight. Any ideas on what make this part wear? Could it be electrolysis? I don't know much history as I purchased this motor used last Fall. It is a salt water motor and did spend some time stored in the water. I was told I can upgrade to the stainless steel swivel pin/yoke that is found in the standard swivel bracket. Is this possible? Price difference is pretty significant.

Swivel pin & yoke for HD bracket about $600
    Stainless Steel Swivel pin & yoke (if applicable) for standard bracket over $1100

Any thoughts or comments welcome. Thanks!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC!

Moving your thread to the 3L Forum (appropriate location for your 3.2L Optimax).

The shaft, yoke and bearings all have completely different part numbers (and honestly- I have never attempted to intermix components between the two).

Is this engine on a MULTI-engine boat? Depending on the application, there is a Standard Transom Assembly (complete with brackets, trim system, swivel bracket, pin and yoke) that is competitively priced in the CPO line. Part# 8M0149448

Trolling for Reeds Injectors

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you for the welcome and quick reply Don. This is a single engine application. Is the assembly mentioned above applicable? Please excuse my ignorance but was is the CPO line?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Certified Pre-Owned" (CPO).

If you are considering going to a traditional swivel bracket, or shaft/yoke combination, this would be the simplest method as it contains those items PLUS the 3-ram Trim system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Don't know about fitment in your case but my swivel pin also rusted out and I found a stainless from a salt water motor at a marine salvage in Fl for 1/4 new price,perfect shape. 200 EFI,not the same but just sayin...