Gel coat question

I know this may sound stupid and the picture probably doesn’t do it justice but after wet sanding and buffing I’m still seeing any if little results. My question is do you think this gel coat is gone? Is there anything else I can do besides re gel coating it? It’s got these little stress cracks in some spots and some fading. This is a newer boat to me and just trying to bring it back to life thanks for any advice
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    following

3. Member
    It looks like the Clear Gelcoat "Crow Footed". Usually it is caused by too much hardner. The cracks will go all the way to the flake so if you try to sand out you will cut your flake turning it silver. Topcoating is really the only way to fix but how to properly prep without cutting flake, to be sure the topcoat does not blister later is over my head. If you pour water on the area pictured does it's appearance improve?

4. Member
    Yes if I pour water over it the cracks will go away

Most of the time the cracking does go to the flake. Can’t tell from just the one pick what you really have there, has the flake already changed color...? If it’s just crazed/crow footed....you can still sand and buff and it’ll shine you just not sure how long it’ll last. Another issue I see is along with your issue comes porosity which most people can’t see in natural light. Really need more pics.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    That one is beyond sand n buff. Sand with 320, acetone wash , re gel. Or sand and spray a solid color from Pettit topside urethane

7. Member
    Thanks for all the input I will try to get more pictures this weekend

8. Member
    I have the same issue with mine. Seems that I can sand it, polish and seal it and it turns out good. But it comes back in a few months no matter what i do. I have been thinking of sanding again and putting clear gel over it. Not sure if that will last?

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maximak2 View Post
    I have the same issue with mine. Seems that I can sand it, polish and seal it and it turns out good. But it comes back in a few months no matter what i do. I have been thinking of sanding again and putting clear gel over it. Not sure if that will last?
    Give this a try, Ive used it with great results

10. Member
    I stand behind the Patch additive too. I use it in every job. Assuming your going to shoot over the Crows Feet, do it on a warm day, let the gelcoat expand, thin pure gel clear with MEK kinda thin on the first coat. The evaporative cooling of the MEK evaporating should cause the existing gelcoat to skrink to help lock in good gel material in the cracks. Let this flash for a long time, where when you put your finger to the tape masking it pulls off without taking any new gel with it. Two things happen here, you get a little material to re-wet to absorb some of the the second coat solvents. This will help keep your runs to a minimum. Also gives the thicker millage in the cracks a chance to seal up the existing gelcoat to reduce sinking. My final 3 coats gets 1/4 by volume Duratec additive first coat, 1/2 by volume second coat and 1 to 1 the last coat. If I'm burying some work I will shoot 2, 1 to 1 coats at the end.

Remember! No Wax when using Duratec Additive.

Duratec is a great product !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

12. Member
    From the sound of it, the crazing- crowd feet are repairable. I will have to wait till it warms a bit but I am glad to hear this. It's the only ugly portion of the boat. It's just the front and sides of the boat on the top cap. When I do it I will take pics and post them. Thanks you guys.

13. Member
    "In Living Color" use to do a skit called "Lowered Expectations". Prep, Prep, Prep, be very patient between coats because where the cracks are It Won't be fixed. An impact of an anchor or other heavier hard object will cause the clear Gel to fracture I'm afraid. The Gel in the cracks won't be stuck to the boat, more like a filler, between the sides of the crack. The better you build clear millage over the repair the less likely the hull flexing will re-crack along the original lines. Gelcoat is by design to get a chemical adhesion over a mechanical adhesion. Your not giving it either in my opinion. A thought would be to call Duratec and check on the flexibility of the additive. Talk to their Tech Department. The more information you gather the better. I know it polishes out to a Million Dollar Shine. Ask about the hardness in relation to Clear Gelcoat and post what they say. Someone else will try to go down your road and the experience here will be a rough guide.