Banned

Has anyone lifted SHO w/o special tool

I need to repair my jackplate and need to pull the motor off but 150.00 for special adapter kit seems excessive

2. Member
    To install my SHO I used a gear puller I already had, bought a good cast eyebolt and three bolts(5/16" fine thread x 3.5" I think) to thread into the three empty flywheel holes...cost me about $10. and worked great...I've also seen guys use a steel plate and drill holes instead of the gear puller...just make sure the 3 bolts thread all the way into flywheel.
    tool 1.JPGtool.JPG
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

3. Banned
    Thanx alot ima do some hunting for the proper thread bolts cuz I have the rest to make up one of those

4. Member
    Really not a lot of cash considering how much it will cost if you drop it. As a old retired mechanic, I watched a guy drop a Evinrude 200.
    He broke the cowling skirt, broke the port side exhaust cover. Some times aluminum is not your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    Really not a lot of cash considering how much it will cost if you drop it. As a old retired mechanic, I watched a guy drop a Evinrude 200.
    He broke the cowling skirt, broke the port side exhaust cover. Some times aluminum is not your friend.
    Here is the correct tool for the job. Installs in seconds............$100

yam1.jpg

yam5.jpg

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    To install my SHO I used a gear puller I already had, bought a good cast eyebolt and three bolts(5/16" fine thread x 3.5" I think) to thread into the three empty flywheel holes...cost me about $10. and worked great...I've also seen guys use a steel plate and drill holes instead of the gear puller...just make sure the 3 bolts thread all the way into flywheel.
    tool 1.JPGtool.JPG
    That will work just fine. Save your money on the special tool.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

I'm all for saving a few bucks$$$, and cobbing a gear puller into a engine lift tool is cool, and for sure will work, but if that casting breaks your engine is going straight to the floor. Considering your trying to lift a $15,000-$20,000 engine, it just makes sense to use the proper tool in this situation. But hey what do I know?..........And of course just my opinion.

8. Banned
    When using the special tool you have to remove 3 flywheel bolts correct ? If so do you replace them with new or
    just reuse and retorque/yield them ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Arch View Post
    When using the special tool you have to remove 3 flywheel bolts correct ? If so do you replace them with new or
    just reuse and retorque/yield them ?

The lifting tool kit I make is designed to lift a Yamaha SHO motor without removing ANY flywheel bolts. It installs in seconds, Includes everything you need to lift your engine, and is a rock solid quality tool. I think I may have a blem lifting kit or two laying around. PM me if your interested.