Boat seat upholstery question.

I have an older late 90's Stratos boat with some seats that are in real badneed of recoving or replacing. I can't justify spending 400 for two new seats on a boat I might be getting rid of in the next 3 years for a new one. However, my seats are in bad shape. Does anyone out there know a decently priced upholsterer out there or could give me advice for recovering myself or know anyone that has a boat they are salvaging that has some used seats. Any info would be appreciated.

IMO 400 bucks is a great deal to get your 2 seats reupholstered by a reputable shop. I personally am not a fan of buying aftermarket seats. What sort of information are you looking for as far as reupholstering the seats yourself?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    If you can get the original seats properly redone for $400 I think it's money well spent. I think you would get your $$ back if you sell with good looking seats.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

4. Member
    That's a pretty good deal IMO. I was just quoted over $1200 labor to my seats. I will probably have to order some type of aftermarket seats as my seats are only 20" wide and that is about all they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    That's a pretty good deal IMO. I was just quoted over $1200 labor to my seats. I will probably have to order some type of aftermarket seats as my seats are only 20" wide and that is about all they can be.
    That’s wayyyy to much
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    I just paid $90 to have a seam restitched on a seat so $400 doesn't sound bad to me

7. Member
    400 is a deal...........straight back van seat cost that, dont ask about 66 vette seats

8. Member
    No one works for free, 400 on a cheap set it fair, but you get what you pay for. 800 and up is more in line with new vinyl, and if you need foam, it's goes up fast.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

9. Member
    Go look on amazon or your local auto parts store. Look for seat covers that might fit, It wont be a perfect fit but when you put them on just use hog rings to make it tight to your frame and be sure to keep it square. You can recover them for about $50 that way plus a little time of your own.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    IMO 400 bucks is a great deal to get your 2 seats reupholstered by a reputable shop. I personally am not a fan of buying aftermarket seats. What sort of information are you looking for as far as reupholstering the seats yourself?
    im with Crank way better off having yours recovered.. aftermarket seats are just that aftermarket.. check with the Parts mom Carol at C@O be surprised the parts they still have for Stratos boats may have skins. if not have them reupholstered. will pay dividends when you go to sell the boat. You will get your money back and then some on resale with good seats and carpet.

My Stratos has the bench seat, which wasn't bad to reupholster myself. Mine cost about $120 in materials, but I bought way more than I needed and also got a walking foot for the sewing machine. Buckets would be twice the work, but my bench took two people (who had never done such work) about 8 hours total. I believe $400 would be a good deal and worth it. Ragged seats really hurt the resale value also if you are looking to get rid of it in a few years; might as well enjoy the new seats a bit before you sell.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI