Weedless Casting Jig Mold

Has anyone had any issues with this mold not pouring all the way down the shank? I have poured thousands of jig heads using this mold but now have an issue with it filling up the cavity. I heat the mold up before I use it. One question that I have is that I use the RCBS gen 2 melting pot and I do not think that it gets as hot as the original RCBS pot. I have coated the mold with the drop out spray and that also does not seem to help. Thanks

2. Member
    Scratch some vent holes, heat the mold AND heat the hooks, smoke the mold. Do all that and you should be fine.

I don't know a lot about pouring lead, but my first thought was cold hooks. In true BBC fashion, I'll try to help with something I know nothing about! (hey, I'm a college professor and it's amazing how often students will come up with answers to open-ended questions that are better than anything I've ever heard...sometimes inexperience helps!)

Has it ever worked with your new melting pot? Have you changed the type (source?) of your lead? Is the temp of your shop colder than usual, or do you usually not work in the winter? Could humidity have anything to do with it (the air is dryer in the winter, or perhaps you're heating the shop with a ventless propane making it more humid, etc.)?

I know this probably doesn't help a lot as I'm sure you've been trying to answer the same question, but I suspect the answer to your question is the same as the answer to the question, "What changed?" The pot may very well be it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    I've got the Do It 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 casting jig mold and I use the little palmer pot. I just heat up the mold with 2 or 3 hookless pours and mine is fine. If your pot is melting the lead, I would think its hot enough. Lead melts at over 600 F.

5. Member
    I had that problem with an old lead pot I'd used for years . I heated it up and drained it and found contamination inside the pouring tip that was reducing lead flow . Cleaned the tip out and everything was good again . With a new pot with old lead maybe there is contamination in the lead you're melting ?

6. Member
    Look at all the variables, the big one is your lead. Are you using lead from a different source, if so that could be the problem. Too me it sounds like lead if you have poured jigs no problem before now all of a sudden there is an issue. Since you have the RCBS you can try adjusting the flow rate, speed it up and slow it down and see what happens. Assuming you don't have to pot maxed out on temp you can try increasing it, that will often solve incomplete pours.

7. Member
    Thanks guys for all of the informtion. i have changed several different things but the big thing is the pot. I may borrow a pot and see what happens.

8. Member
    Are you using clean lead? Pouring thousands and now you have the problem leads me to think lead. Drain the pot. Clean/flux the lead and start over.

9. Banned
    Two company's that will fix your problem
    Rcbs 800-533-5000
    Rcbs pro melt furnace
    120-v-ac-81100
    650f to 850f
    Rotometals.com
    865.Estabrook St.
    San Leandro ca. 94577
    800-779-1102
    99.9 % pure lead
    Also bee's wax the inside of the furnace the lead will roll off the sides and any impurities will float to the top of the lead

10. Member
    I already have a RCBS pot. I run the temerature at 800. I will try the bee's wax. I have not tried it.

11. Member
    On most of my molds I run heavier hooks then what they recommend. I take a small triangle jewlers file and open the hook trough up a bit being triangle it pushes the air out the shank of the hook there might be a bit of a sprew to cut off below the bait holder but I'll take that over less than full pours anyday
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"